Disks/pool gone after reboot/shutdown, can get it back.. but.. help

mirkywoody

Cadet
Hello there awesome people.
I spent 20 hours now trying to troubleshoot something, and i think it's time to ask for help. This is part of my own experiment/learning at an school.

Hardware
Server: HP DL360G7 - dual x5660 - 96gb ram ...
Controller: LSI SAS 3801E (chip: c1068e) ... Flashed to IT mode.

Diskshell: 16bay disk shell with... 2x controller/expander: Promise J630S
Disks: 16x Seagate ST33000650SS A003 ... 3TB disks.

FreeNAS
version: 11.2-U6
installed on hardware raid1, onboard controller. (also had on usb stick before).

Problem: disks and created pool disapears after reboot or shutdown.. and will not appear again before disconnecting and reconnecting sas cable to disk shell. Everything actually works, can make a share, transfer, etc. But gone after reboot/shutdown, and i can get the pool back.
Ofc i don't want to reconnect cable at everytime on start.

Further story...
On fresh install of FreeNAS, with the diskshell connected, the disks do not appear!. However, if i unplug the cable to the diskshell, and connnect it again, the disks will show. (important thing i found out about this, is to wait sufficent time before plugging back in, or it wont work!! disks wont come up, it needs the time).
I then can make my pool, Z3 on all 16 disks, and make my shares, etc. everthing works. ...

But then after reboot, the disks are not seen in "disks" or with command "mptutil show drives" .. also nothing on "sesutil map", or "camcontrol devlist".. but the controller itself can still be seen with forexample "mptutil show adapter".
I then can do the re-connect trick. And everything can be gotten back into order.

I also tried with the FreeNAS nightly dev, just to see, but it was same.

I think i read something about my controller maybe not supporting more than 2tb disks?, but i can see them as.. 2.7gb something(must be after some formatting), everything working, when it works.

So whats the problem here guys?.
To me it.... feels like..... some timeout issue? or something not re-initializing?... that is the only thing i can say in generel, not super experienced here.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey mirki,

According to your post, your disk shell boots up too slowly. It is not ready to present itself to FreeNAS in time when FreeNAS needs it and is ready to read and access your drives. I do not know if FreeNAS can delays some parts of its own boot process to wait for your too slow disk shell... Or maybe can you boot your disk shell first and wait for a long enough before booting up FreeNAS ?

If indeed you are in a race condition, know that FreeNAS is wining that race very clearly. So you need to slow it down, to speed up the disk shell, to delay FreeNAS or anything like that for FreeNAS not asking for the disks before the shell is ready to present them.

Good luck with that one,

mirkywoody

Cadet
Hey mirki,

According to your post, your disk shell boots up too slowly. It is not ready to present itself to FreeNAS in time when FreeNAS needs it and is ready to read and access your drives. I do not know if FreeNAS can delays some parts of its own boot process to wait for your too slow disk shell... Or maybe can you boot your disk shell first and wait for a long enough before booting up FreeNAS ?

If indeed you are in a race condition, know that FreeNAS is wining that race very clearly. So you need to slow it down, to speed up the disk shell, to delay FreeNAS or anything like that for FreeNAS not asking for the disks before the shell is ready to present them.

Good luck with that one,

but but...... hmm... the disk shell is always powered on. has been powered on for loooong time before FreeNAS starts in all my testing.
But i am not sure how it all works, does the FreeNAS/controller send a signal for it power on in another sense? initialize with it. is that what you mean?.

I could look into delaying boot of freenas just to try it, must be someone who done that before.
ALSO, in the SAS controller utility (the one accessed at boot), there are various timeout and delay options.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
installed on hardware raid1, onboard controller.
This is not a good thing. No hardware RAID for FreeNAS if you want support. (using the onboard controller is fine, just not in Hardware RAID mode)

It looks like your disk shell is something a little special and perhaps not suited to FreeNAS.

Does that shell behave normally with any other OS?

You may want to do some tinkering with the delay options in the SAS controller utility as it will be the part most likely to deliver success.

Fredda

Guru
What happens if you enter the BIOS of the HBA card upon reboot? Usually RAID or HBA cards have kind of a "rescan drives" function.
Is there a way you can make them reappear via the HBA-BIOS?

mirkywoody

Cadet
This is not a good thing. No hardware RAID for FreeNAS if you want support. (using the onboard controller is fine, just not in Hardware RAID mode)

It looks like your disk shell is something a little special and perhaps not suited to FreeNAS.

Does that shell behave normally with any other OS?

You may want to do some tinkering with the delay options in the SAS controller utility as it will be the part most likely to deliver success.

I did know that it's no-go with freenas + hardware raid anywhere :D, but did anyway, and it worked.. but yes, I changed it to non-hardware raid before i left for home. There also was a weird error message on boot drive at times, oddly after it adds the disk shell drives. I don't see it could be causing trouble tho, everything seemed to work, etc.

maybe it is a special snow flake disk shell. It is a Symantec Norton branded one.
Will do other OS once I exhausted some more ideas.
I did try to mess around with the settings in controller utility, seemingly not changing anything so far.. will post my options there later.

What happens if you enter the BIOS of the HBA card upon reboot? Usually RAID or HBA cards have kind of a "rescan drives" function.
Is there a way you can make them reappear via the HBA-BIOS?

The drives have always appeared in the HBA-BIOS/utility, no problem there it seems. I look there before FreeNAS starts, ofc, and they are there, but not in FreeNAS until i re-plug the cable to disk shell.

sretalla