SOLVED Disks not showing up under Storage->Disks

stajo

Explorer
System:
Supermicro X10SLM-F with an IT flashed LSI 9220 8i
Boot disks on flashdrives
TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1

Im running 10 storage disks on this, two on the on board SATA and the other 8 on the HBA

Everything works fine, my pools are up and running and everything. The HW was recently refreshed from older, where it used onboard SATA and no HBA.

If I do geom disk list it lists them all, the onboard SATA as ada0 and 1, and the HBAs as mfisyspd0 to 7. Its just that I dont see the HBA disks under Storage->Disks. I see them with the shell command and I see them under Pools->Status.

Is this normal? I whish I could see them under Storage->Disks to map the S/N to the names given by TrueNas, for when they go south.

Br
Staffan

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is this normal?
No.

I whish I could see them under Storage->Disks to map the S/N to the names given by TrueNas, for when they go south.
The Serial numbers are automatically filled these days (when you can see the disks).

@Spearfoot has a script for HDD temps that provides the information that you could just save to a text file to keep for reference.

I would generally recommend a backup of your config, reinstall TrueNAS and restore the config in an attempt to recover the disks in the list as normal in the GUI.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
If I do geom disk list it lists them all, the onboard SATA as ada0 and 1, and the HBAs as mfisyspd0 to 7. Its just that I dont see the HBA disks under Storage->Disks. I see them with the shell command and I see them under Pools->Status.
The drives on the HBA show up as mfisyspd0..7? This is odd... if your LSI 9220 is flashed to IT firmware phase 20.00.07.00 the disks ought to show up as da0..7. This makes me think you're really running the card in RAID mode instead of IT mode.

Can you post the output of sas2flash -list? You should see something like this:
Code:
root@bandit:~/scripts # sas2flash -list
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Controller Number              : 0
        Controller                     : SAS2008(B2)
        PCI Address                    : 00:04:00:00
        SAS Address                    : 500605b-0-0647-5ca0
        NVDATA Version (Default)       : 14.01.00.06
        NVDATA Version (Persistent)    : 14.01.00.06
        Firmware Product ID            : 0x2213 (IT)
        Firmware Version               : 20.00.07.00
        NVDATA Vendor                  : LSI
        NVDATA Product ID              : SAS9210-8i
        BIOS Version                   : N/A
        UEFI BSD Version               : N/A
        FCODE Version                  : N/A
        Board Name                     : SAS9210-8i
        Board Assembly                 : N/A
        Board Tracer Number            : N/A

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
        Exiting SAS2Flash.

stajo

Explorer
It says during boot something about "jbod controlled by bios" or something but I didnt have time to read it all.

root@Freenas15[~]# sas2flash -list

Then it comes an indented text block that refuses to be copied:

No LSI SAS adapters found! etc etc.

I bought it second hand flashed, so I dont know to what version. It seems like a nightmare to flash them, cause every page I google up says different, and is pretty old.

I do have another card that I dont think is IT flashed that I can mount in some test rig and flash if anyone can give me the smartest guidelines.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
I do have another card that I dont think is IT flashed that I can mount in some test rig and flash if anyone can give me the smartest guidelines
You'll have the best chance of a high quality response if you can post the card type...

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
It is another LSI 9220 8i
Redirect the output from sas2flash to a text file, like this:
Code:
sas2flash -list > cardinfo.txt
Then you can paste the contents of cardinfo.txt here on the forum.

But I really don't think your cards are flashed to IT mode; I think they're running in RAID mode, which is not what you want for ZFS/TrueNAS.

I agree there is a bewildering array of contradictory HBA-flashing information out there on the internet! But we have a good resource here on the forum you can use to get started:

This is important, because you will not get good results until you get your card flashed correctly.

Good luck!

stajo

Explorer
Thanks a bunch.

Here is the full info:

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -list
Exiting Program.

I will set up a rig and try flashing the other LSI 9220-8i

As far as I have been able to understand a LSI 9220-8i is an OEMed LSI 9211-8i, so it ought to be the same procedure, right?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks a bunch.

Here is the full info:

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -list
Exiting Program.

I will set up a rig and try flashing the other LSI 9220-8i

As far as I have been able to understand a LSI 9220-8i is an OEMed LSI 9211-8i, so it ought to be the same procedure, right?
That's right. I own one (an IBM M1015) and the files I used to flash it are here:

All of the usual disclaimers apply: Use at your own risk; no warranty is granted or implied; not guaranteed for merchantiabiltiy or fitness for a particular purpose; etc.

stajo

Explorer
338187BA-54CC-4EC6-A917-A3C16E701E3F.jpeg

So I think I managed to flash my 9220-8i to a 9211-8i fw 20. At first I spent parts of a day trying on my spare card (china ebayed if I remember right). After having no luck in neither dos nor uefi I noticed that the card was completely dark. It didnt even power up so my unlucky efforts was not really strange. Having only one card running the disks I purchased another, 9217-8i reflashed to 9207-8i, putted the drives on that and pulled the 9220 to another machine. After a few tries I wiped it with megarec and reflashed in uefi. Also reflashed the SAS-adress fwiw. Thanks for advise!

Redcoat

MVP
Well done!
You could mark your thread "Solved" now - Edit box at top RHS of your first post - will have an option to select "Solved" after first click as I recall.