Disk size and available space

Status
Not open for further replies.

ookrisoo

Cadet
Hello
I currently have 2 (ada0 an ada1) 2TB disks each. After installing them in the system and configuring them as a mirror, Freenas reports that I have available for use just over 1TB. Where's the rest of the place? Is everything intended for the ZFS file system?

VFGUq48.png

O1DSZ3z.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
Freenas reports that I have available for use just over 1TB.
No, it doesn't. It reports that 765 GiB are used, and 1.1 TiB remain available, exactly as expected.

garm

Wizard
FreeNAS counts TiB, not TB used by drive manufacturers. You have 760 odd GiB used and 1.1 TiB available. That is perfectly normal on a 2 TB drive mirror because 2 TB = 1.8 TiB.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's interesting is that this is a fairly-common area of confusion--not so much the TB/TiB issue (which is also common, but not the primary issue here), but that people read "available" as the total space, not the free space. I'm not sure why; it seems perfectly clear to me, but obviously others don't see it that way. This is the first time I've seen it mentioned with Polish (which I presume is the language being used in the GUI screen shot above), though.

ookrisoo

Cadet
No, it doesn't. It reports that 765 GiB are used, and 1.1 TiB remain available, exactly as expected.
Thanks.
I did not notice that there is a column "available" and "used". A total noob from me;)

What's interesting is that this is a fairly-common area of confusion--not so much the TB/TiB issue (which is also common, but not the primary issue here), but that people read "available" as the total space, not the free space. I'm not sure why; it seems perfectly clear to me, but obviously others don't see it that way. This is the first time I've seen it mentioned with Polish (which I presume is the language being used in the GUI screen shot above), though.
Would it be clearer if “Free”, or “Unused” were used instead of “Available”?

garm

Wizard
"Available" is the term used by ZFS so I dont think it should be changed. English isn't my first language but I do read it as "remaining" space. But I can see where the confusion comes from. I wonder if the ambiguity is worse in translated UIs. In the Swedish UI it translates "Available" and "Used" at least, but I know from work that other EU language struggle with localization. German for instance is a problem with the software I manage professionally. The UI in English uses "delete" and "remove" in vary different ways, but in German they use the same term to translate both...

Status
Not open for further replies.