Disk keeps resilvering after replacing

samajid

Cadet
I have a very basic setup on an i3 with 6GB ram. Ive been running freeNAS with 2 1 TB disks (mirror). I needed more space so I went into pools status made one of the disks offline. Shutdown freenas and replaced the 1TB HDD with a 2 TB HDD. Switched FreeNAS back on and clicked replace. FreeNAS prompted me to wipe the disk so I did that. After replacing, it said it would take around 4 or 5 hours to resilver. I checked again the next day and it was resilvering again. and im running in a degraded state as of now.

I plan on replacing the other 1 TB HDD as well. As you must have noticed im new to this and am learning as I go.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 166

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @samajid,

Your system is under specs... 8G of RAM is the required minimum for FreeNAS. An i3 is also on the low side for the CPU.

What model your hard drives are ? Should they be SMR, normal for them to take forever to resilver. SMR drives must be avoided at all cost.

Still, from what you posted, some patience may well do it for you.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@samajid Please post your system specs, including the hard drive models. And also what version of FreeNAS you are running.

The best thing to do is backup your data while your pool still supports it.

I checked again the next day and it was resilvering again.
How do you know it's resilvering again, key word here is "again". Do you know for certain it finished a previous one? As @Heracles indicates, if you have an SMR drive then they do take forever to resilver, much longer than the estimate for a normal hard drive. The screen capture you posted said it was nearly done and I'd wait a while longer before saying it failed. The i3 CPU is fine but the 6GB RAM is a bit on the low side and it might work provided you do nothing more than run file sharing.

samajid

Cadet
@samajid Please post your system specs, including the hard drive models. And also what version of FreeNAS you are running.

The best thing to do is backup your data while your pool still supports it.

How do you know it's resilvering again, key word here is "again". Do you know for certain it finished a previous one? As @Heracles indicates, if you have an SMR drive then they do take forever to resilver, much longer than the estimate for a normal hard drive. The screen capture you posted said it was nearly done and I'd wait a while longer before saying it failed. The i3 CPU is fine but the 6GB RAM is a bit on the low side and it might work provided you do nothing more than run file sharing.
Thanks for the reply.

It did finish resilvering like you guys told, but as you can see in the attached screenshot it says the 2 TB hard disk is online but the pool is still degraded. I had 3 errors, so I deleted those files and I'm scrubbing the pool to see if it solves it.

I use the FreeNAS system only for file sharing accessed by around 10 PCs. It has served me well for the past year. I'm only facing issues now that I am trying to update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 157

samajid

Cadet
Hi,

Its back to resilvering now again, without me doing anything.

Hope someone can help me out here.

Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you done any SMART testing on the drive? Swap the data cables at all? Basically do some basic troubleshooting?

Please list all your system specs (per the forum rules), such as the make/model of the motherboard, CPU, Hard Drives, any HBA, etc... All of it. No one is going to help if you don't post your hardware info, we are just guessing without that data. If your hard drives are SMR then that it likely your issue but it doesn't mean it is.

I'd recommend you do a SMART Long Test on all your drives first. Report the full results (use smartctl -x /dev/adax) command. Look at my Hard Drive Troubleshooting Guide (in my signature). Next I'd swap or replace the data cables to the drives.

Good luck