Different Machine similiar issues - New Install Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptera

Explorer
Started a new thread since this is the new machine we built instead of trying to use the antique Dell server.
Specs
ASUS Gryphon z87 Motherboard
8 Gigs Ram
4 Western Digital RED 4TB drive
with the same PNY 16GB USB thumb drive.

First attempts the USB drive was plugged into USB3 system hard a hard time recognizing the drive.
So I switched to USB2 it would recognize it a couple of times.
When it did boot up it exhibited two issues.
1. No matter what DHCP server I connected it to it would get an IP address but would always set the gateway to 0.0.0.0 which it would then complain about rDNS errors and hang.
2. Once it did completely boot up but could not ping the gateway after trying to static set the IP Address.
3. Trying to run route -n just puked up usage instructions - would never show me routes.
4. Re-installed twice from CD to USB but still ended up with the same issues.

My next attempt is to scratch using the USB drive all together.
I installed a 16Gig SATA SSD drive and installed FreeNAS on it.
It is installing now - will add to this thread the results

Ptera

Explorer
So I am beginning to think I have no hardware capable of running FreeNAS no matter what I have.
So after install the system powered up but could not see the SSD drive. After trying several different BIOS options still would not recognize it.
After powering down and up - the drive was recognized but ended up and a manual boot prompt.
I am checking Manufacturers website for bios updates.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, your hardware doesn't meet our general recommendations... z87, consumer grade, etc.

Ptera

Explorer
I do not know what happened but after contacting ASUS and shutting the system down for the night. I come in to duplicate and document the issues and the system booted up. I completed my initial setup and then did a reboot which failed before and everything still works. FreeNAS is up and running so I am now learning how to use it. Who knows - maybe I needed to power down the system after the firmware upgrade. Will wait and see.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That doesn't solve the problem that your hardware us unsuitable for ZFS...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you *can* but UFS is discontinued in FreeNAS for future versions....

You really should give our hardware requirements section a read... and you should have done that before buying hardware. ;)

Ptera

Explorer
Yea made the mistake watching the videos - gave the impression any old Motherboard would do.
Yes I see you only recommend Supermicro boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.