Middleware Failed to Start - Error

Gamer0126

Dabbler
Hello All,
I am trying to fix multiple issues which may or may not be related. After some updates I found my Freenas build was failing to boot up. Initially I thought there was something in the update process so I restarted it and it booted just fine. However after trying to debug why the plugins were not showing an update option I rebooted again and now I have noticed occasionally the build does not boot up consistently. I looked at the dialog upon boot up and I get the following prompt:
"MIDDLEWARED FAILED TO START WITHIN 4 MINUTES, SYSTEM WILL NOT BEHAVE CORRECTLY!!"
Freenas continues to run to complete successful boot, but I also get the following messages:
Failed to run middleware call. Daemon not running?
I haven't tried to recreate the non-successful boot because at the moment I need the server up, however in about two weeks I will have the time to take the server down for the weekend and work out the following issues I am tracking:
  • Inconsistent Boot ups
  • Middleware Failed to start
  • Plugins Not allowing updates
After reading some of the forums I have a couple of causes for the inconsistent boots and/or issues I am facing:
  • USB 2.0 16GB Thumb Drive maybe failing
    • I read some threads stating that USB 3.0 Thumb Drive may not be ideal so possibly switching over to SSD Hard Drive, but in another thread I read there were some issues with SSD 3D Nand controllers.
  • Install a fresh version of Freenas rather than boot up on a new drive, either being a new USB 3.0 Thumb Drive or a SSD Hard Drive
Here is my hardware setup:
CPU: i3 - 4160.
Memory: 32 GB ECC DRAM
Case/Power Supply: SUPERMICRO CSE-743TQ-865B-SQ
USB: 16GB USB Thumb Drive
HDD: 8 x WD Red 6GB 5400RPM

I found the following similar threads and bugs but without a definite solution for me atleast:
Middleware Bug: link
USB 2.0 Possible Cause, also states USB3.0 drive known to have issues: link
Fresh Install Solution: link
SSD 3D Nand issues: link

Given the information I have found I would like to know what I could do without powering down the server to debug these issues. I am able to login into the Server GUI through the network so I can run commands in the shell.
Also I would like to know which would be a better option:
  • USB 3.0 Thumb Drive
  • SSD Hard Drive SATA (Specifically this one: link)
    • Any suggestions for a recommended SSD Hard Drive would be welcomed.

Gamer0126

Dabbler
Just for an FYI for anyone who finds this topic/thread in the future. My USB has finally completely failed, luckily I have saved the configuration file. I am not sure if it is safe to say the root cause for all these issues was my USB OS Thumb Drive slowly dying off but in my case the issues I saw regarding booting up was definitely related to the USB drive. I will moving on to an SSD for the OS drive. Hope this note helps other people trouble shoot.