Dell R630 Fan Speeds

Bryon Brinkmann

Explorer
Hello all,
I have an Dell R630 with the correct controller card and everything installs just fine and work well, BUT the fans on the system run at 90 to 100% even if the system is idle . I've used different BIOS and it all does the same. any ideas? If I install ubuntu (or other OS's) this doesn't happen. the Fans may run around 20 to 25%. I have a second R630 and not issues with fan speed unless I start put load on the CPU's but that's normal.

PS: I've used the IPMI tool on the IDRAC to set the speeds but anything below 50% I get high CPU heat warnings and they come close to shutdown.
Set fan speed to 25%
ipmitool -I lanplus -H SERVERS_IP_HERE -U IDRAC_USERNAME -P 'IDRAC_PASSWORD_HERE' raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x19
Set fan speed to 30%
ipmitool -I lanplus -H SERVERS_IP_HERE -U IDRAC_USERNAME -P 'IDRAC_PASSWORD_HERE' raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x1E
Set fan speed to 50%
ipmitool -I lanplus -H SERVERS_IP_HERE -U IDRAC_USERNAME -P 'IDRAC_PASSWORD_HERE' raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x32
Set fan speed to 60%
ipmitool -I lanplus -H SERVERS_IP_HERE -U IDRAC_USERNAME -P 'IDRAC_PASSWORD_HERE' raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x3C
Set fan speed to 100%
ipmitool -I lanplus -H SERVERS_IP_HERE -U IDRAC_USERNAME -P 'IDRAC_PASSWORD_HERE' raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x64

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
So it looks like you have a heat issue with the CPU. What about re-doing the CPU heat sink with fresh paste?

And of course the usual question: What are the differences between your two machines?

sretalla