Dell R620 Fans gone loud

Smokie

Explorer
Hi all,

So I have had scale running great for the last couple of months, tonight I noticed the fans had ramped up to louder than normal. After a bit of investigating I might of narrowed it down to one fan. I removed it and it’s calmed down a bit but I’m getting a lot of fan errors on the notifications. I didn’t realise that truenas would have direct feedback from the onboard sensors, would this be true? So I’m getting errors on truenas saying I’m having fan issues?

• Fan Fan7B Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan7A Asserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan7A Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan Redundancy Asserted Redundancy Lost.
  • Fan Fan6A Asserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan6A Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan6B Asserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan6B Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Physical Security Intrusion Deasserted General Chassis intrusion ().
  • Physical Security Intrusion Asserted General Chassis intrusion ().
  • Fan Fan6A Deasserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 9240 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan6A Deasserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 9240 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan6B Deasserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 8160 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan6B Deasserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 8160 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan7B Deasserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 960 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan7A Deasserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 1080 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan7A Deasserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 1080 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan Redundancy Asserted Fully Redundant.
  • Fan Fan7B Deasserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 8400 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan4A Asserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan4A Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan5A Asserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan5A Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan5B Asserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan5B Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan4B Asserted Lower Non-critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 840 RPM.
  • Fan Fan4B Asserted Lower Critical going low : Reading 0 < Threshold 720 RPM.
  • Fan Fan Redundancy Asserted Redundancy Lost.

I also noticed on the monitor I attached that when the system boots and on its console, 1-9 commands. I noticed some random stuff popping up then it goes back to the 1-9 options. Is it a case that whenever it’s doing something it pops up then goes back the the options. I just thought that it sat at that menu permanently.

Sorry bout the long and mixed questions, maybe someone can help? Is there anything I should look into first??

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I have had scale running great for the last couple of months, tonight I noticed the fans had ramped up to louder than normal. After a bit of investigating I might of narrowed it down to one fan. I removed it and it’s calmed down a bit but I’m getting a lot of fan errors on the notifications. I didn’t realise that truenas would have direct feedback from the onboard sensors, would this be true? So I’m getting errors on truenas saying I’m having fan issues?
Yes, on a typical server platform - technically you don't get fan errors, you get IPMI errors, which include fan errors (so you wouldn't get errors on a consumer board that has the fans controlled by a SuperIO chip).

Sounds like you need to replace the fan.

I also noticed on the monitor I attached that when the system boots and on its console, 1-9 commands. I noticed some random stuff popping up then it goes back to the 1-9 options. Is it a case that whenever it’s doing something it pops up then goes back the the options. I just thought that it sat at that menu permanently.
It does, but some errors show up on the console. If you try to interact with it, the menu will pop back up.

fastzombies

Explorer
I have an R620 10x2.5 gathering dust and wanted to use it for Scale, but it is huge, heavy, hot, eats power and sounds like a 737 throttling up. But it is great TrueNAS hardware. If I replaced the 600G 10,000RPM Dell enterprise disks with SSD's and downgraded the memory from 192G to 64G perhaps it would quiet and cool down. It would still be huge.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The disks, sure, but cutting down the memory doesn't get you very far