Dell R510 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfast500

Explorer
Looking to purchase an R510 12 bay I was hoping someone on these forums may be using the same and or has experience with this server. Just want to know before dropping 400+

Currently I have 6 x 3tb drives in a raid z2 running on 24gb non ecc ram and an i5 processor. I would love to get this off onto a more solid server with ecc ram thus looking at a r510

I know the raid controller would need to go and I am looking at the m1015 or a 9211-8i HBA to replace it. i need to know what cables i would need to hook this up?

Thanks in advanced.

tfast500

Explorer
There are a couple threads here regarding that model, may be more:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/12-disk-setup-sata-setup-for-vm-storage.44276/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-build-looking-for-advice.44115/#post-293919

You looking to store this in your house? If so, there may be concern about noise; but not too sure on this model.

Thanks,
I will look through those links!

My specs :

x2 X5670
64gb ram
8 bay moving my 6 x 3tb to it (not the 12)
6/IR raid card (replacing with H200)

I will be hosing it in my home hopefully the noise is not an issue. regardless i will deal with it :)
I decided to get an H200 and will crossflash it. I really hope it will support >3tb sata drives.

I am a newb when it comes to raid controllers what cables will i need?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I doubt think you will want to be in the same room as that thing. So you need a spare room.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tfast500

Explorer
I doubt think you will want to be in the same room as that thing. So you need a spare room.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Worst case scenario I will move it into a walk in closet that is in my office located in the basement. My only concern with that is the heat but I will just have to see

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Just to toss another option in the mix, I am a big fan of the Dell C2100/FS12-TY Servers. Got a small write-up for them in this thread "Ode to the Dell C2100/FS12-TY"

Might want to give it a looksy if you have not purchased yet.

tfast500

Explorer
Just to toss another option in the mix, I am a big fan of the Dell C2100/FS12-TY Servers. Got a small write-up for them in this thread "Ode to the Dell C2100/FS12-TY"

Might want to give it a looksy if you have not purchased yet.

I had not looked into that server but looks like a good option I have already purchased the R510 on ebay. Also great thread! I appreciate the write-up.

Mirfster

FWIW

These are the ones I use for the C2100/FS12-TY with Perc H200 (flashed to IT mode). Having straight ends on both sides simplifies connecting to either a H200, M1015 or LSI 9211-8i. Since you are using the H200, it would be difficult to get two right angled connections into the Mini SAS slots since they are side by side in the middle of the card.

5X8NH 05X8NH DELL MINI SAS TO MINI SAS CABLE FOR C2100 / C1100

If I recall, cables are 50 cm or about 1 foot 7 inches...

Hope this helps.

tfast500

Explorer
How do I know if it will work? Are all the sas controller cables the same just different angles on the ends? I guess I will have to wait till I get server to measure how long I will need. I read that the 12bay cable will not work on the 8bay r510 so I am confused as to what to look for?

Mirfster

Well, the cables you linked are Mini SAS (SFF-8087) as are the ones I linked. Unless the Server you ordered has a different backplane and/or connections to the backplane; say SFF-8484 or just SATA; then they should work fine. Only real concern would be the length, but the C2100/FS12-TY is pretty much as long or a bit longer than the R510 as far a I recall.

tfast500

Explorer
Received my H200 today and was able to flash to IT Mode :) tomorrow I should get the R510. I am pretty excited!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tfast500

Explorer
Thanks. I studied the subject a lot the last few days so I had my bootable media and firmware all ready to go with my own custom set of compiled instructions. Probably overboard but I wanted to be prepared so the process would go smoothly.

squarrier

Cadet
Thanks. I studied the subject a lot the last few days so I had my bootable media and firmware all ready to go with my own custom set of compiled instructions. Probably overboard but I wanted to be prepared so the process would go smoothly.

Do you mind posting the process you used? I just got the r510 and have the H700 so will have to go about a similar process. Which cables did you end up using? I am a little scared about doing the flash so I was hoping to read up on it prior to buying the H200. Thank you.

tfast500

Explorer
Do you mind posting the process you used? I just got the r510 and have the H700 so will have to go about a similar process. Which cables did you end up using? I am a little scared about doing the flash so I was hoping to read up on it prior to buying the H200. Thank you.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I can find and post the resources I used to flash the H200 and the cables that I bought on eBay if you still need.

squarrier

Cadet
Hello, sorry for the late reply. I can find and post the resources I used to flash the H200 and the cables that I bought on eBay if you still need.

My h200 is on the way. Instructions and cables would be amazing! Thanks

tfast500

Explorer
MINI SAS CABLE Y673P
MINI SAS CABLE P744P

These were the two cables I had to purchase since my server came with a perc 6ir card. If yours comes with H700 I dont think you will need to purchase these? Also keep in mind my H510 is the 8 bay version so this might be different for the 12 bay

I will continue to look for instructions that i used and the cheat sheet i made at the time (not sure if i keep it =/ but this guide looks promising I don't think it was the one that I followed at the time tho.

https://techmattr.wordpress.com/201...-flashing-to-it-mode-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/

squarrier

Cadet
MINI SAS CABLE Y673P
MINI SAS CABLE P744P

These were the two cables I had to purchase since my server came with a perc 6ir card. If yours comes with H700 I dont think you will need to purchase these? Also keep in mind my H510 is the 8 bay version so this might be different for the 12 bay

I will continue to look for instructions that i used and the cheat sheet i made at the time (not sure if i keep it =/ but this guide looks promising I don't think it was the one that I followed at the time tho.

https://techmattr.wordpress.com/201...-flashing-to-it-mode-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/
Thank you that would be really helpful.

StoreMyBytes

Dabbler
For the Dell R510, have you run into any issues with large drive sizes? I currently have 8x8TB WD Reds that I got on super sale. The R510 12-bay unit seems like the best value between cost, performance and future expansion capability. Have you run into any issues using the R510 with larger drive sizes?

For reference, I've been reading this if it is helpful to the next person who reads this post: http://en.community.dell.com/techce...7.hdd-support-for-2-5tb-3tb-drives-and-beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.