Dell PERC H200 HBA causes boot loop after flash

Bit new here and fairly green at NAS building in general, apologies for any mistakes.

I used the UEFI section of the guide due to DOS giving me problems
Summary of steps: -
EFI Shell: sas2flash.efi -c 0 -list - SAS Address still written down
Reboot to DOS: megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin & megarec.exe -cleanflash 0
Reboot to EFI Shell: sas2flash.efi -o -f 6GBPSAS.FW - Would not succeed in adapter reset, but worked after i used a later sas2flash.efi version (p15)
Reboot again:
sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118p7.bin - Failed due to the unable to convert IR to IT error, Attempted to use the default sas2flash.efi (p5?) to circumvent and ended up with my issue.

System reboots before even displaying anything, Works fine when card is removed.
No idea where to go from here, Am i simply going to have to purchase a new card?
Disconnecting hard drives makes no difference.

Misc info:
CPU: i5-3570K (Socket 1155)
Mobo: MSI H61I-E35 V2/W8
RAM: 2x 4GB 1333Mhz (Non-ECC, i'm aware of the risk.)
1x 128GB SSD connected to motherboard SATA port
1x 1TB WD Drive (just for initial testing)
PSU: EVGA 600W W1

Pictures:
DSC_0136.JPG DSC_0139.JPG DSC_0140.JPG DSC_0137.JPG

Redcoat

MVP
This resource https://www.truenas.com/community/r...9300-9305-9311-9400-94xx-hba-and-variants.54/ has a section that covers erasing a bad flash that's giving a reboot problem.
Thanks, I should've looked there first. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like my motherboard supports disabling the OROM, for whatever reason. The closest i could find is an option to disable the LAN controller Option ROM.

Concerningly, It keeps reporting of a failed overclock each time i try to boot with the card installed. Even after i've reset the CMOS and haven't touched the overclock settings. Doesn't seem to do it after booting normally, though.

Pictures attached, in case that might help:
DSC_0145.JPG DSC_0141.JPG DSC_0142.JPG DSC_0143.JPG

Redcoat

MVP
Thanks, I should've looked there first. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like my motherboard supports disabling the OROM, for whatever reason. The closest i could find is an option to disable the LAN controller Option ROM.
Forget the OROM issue - if you can't find one related to any boot menu it's likely you don't have one to worry about.

I'd ignore the "overclock" too, for now at least - assume it's a result of the bad flash. You don't want an overclocked server mobo anyway - potential instability, etc.

How far have you got following the erase section?

BTW, I'd get a copy of FreeDOS to use on your MSDOS boot drive with the MSDOS files for the flash process.

Last edited:
How far have you got following the erase section?
Up to flashing "6GBPSAS.FW", After that i attempted to flash "2118p7.bin" over it and ended up with the 'bricked' card i have now.