Dell H310/LSI 9223-8i - Drive not recognised

Vitz

Dabbler
A while ago I bought a Dell H310 controller in order to circumvent the SATA limitations of my server's motherboard. Yesterday I got around to installing it properly by masking two of the PCI-E pins, something that had to be done for the machine to boot at all. I followed this guide: http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html

I was overjoyed to see the machine booting but this was thwarted by the next problem to pop up: The drive I have plugged into it isn't being recognised. At least, not entirely. When I check the Storage section in FreeNAS, there IS a new drive with the address da0. However, it's reportedly 0b in size, is not assigned a serial, and when trying to wipe it, I get the following error message: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/da0 failed (code 1): gpart: provider: Operation not supported by device

When I list my drives in gpart, it also does not show up, despite FreeNAS assigning it an address. Now the drive itself is brand new and confirmed to be working. The LSI card is also properly showing up and confirmed to be running the latest firmware and it is running in IT mode. Everything appears to be set up correctly, yet it simply doesn't work.

I'm completely stuck at this point. Does anyone have any advice?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity