Deleting pool questions

NASr710

Explorer
I have a time machine pool that is giving me trouble. It was working fine for over a year and it grew out of space and has been dysfunctional Ever since. I have been trying to delete the data and I can't seem to do it from the Mac. So tried deleting the pool and it says it is being accessed (not sure why).

Can someone explain the difference between deleting a pool and Export/Disconnect a Pool? Any other ideas?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So tried deleting the pool and it says it is being accessed (not sure why).
Is the SMB service running? that would be locking the Time Machine share.

Destroying a pool can be done with the Export/disconnect option using the checkbox to wipe during that process.

If a pool is exported it can then be imported again later, either on the same system or a different one.

NASr710

Explorer
Yes. SMB service is running.

So yesterday, it recreated a new pool. Time machine was seeing it but can't seem to log in when it asks for user and password. I was using the User that is associated with the TM pool.

Then today I changed the user name in SHARING>AFP to my login instead of the TM user name I had set up. Then under POOL>PERMISSIONS I changed the User to my user name and the my login as well and group to our FAMILY group. Then it connected to the drive. Now I am waiting to see if it backs up. Is it necessary to create a separate USER to login or do the TM backup?

I am confused about how to properly set up TM. I have seen many different ways. The pool can be either set up as Unix or MAC? I had set it to Unix but it looks like it must have defaulted to Mac? I have seen different write ups saying both...

NASr710

Explorer
Backup failed again... 'TM couldn't backup to 'freeness.local' ?

sretalla