Deleting Files Does Not Change Free Space

NAS777

Dabbler
Hello,

I am using FreeNAS-11.3-U2 and I am cleaning up files but my free space is not changing.

I read on another thread where the snap shots were taking up the space but I dont see any under storage/snapshots.

How can I get this reclaimed space back? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1631324164930.png

Arwen

MVP
I don't know the GUI as well as others. Try using the following command to see the snapshots:
zfs list -t snapshot

NAS777

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. Here is the output

Code:
# zfs list -t snapshot
NAME                                            USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.3-U2@2020-02-01-06:10:24  1.92M      -   758M  -
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.3-U2@2020-04-09-20:43:30  2.03M      -   758M  -

Arwen

MVP
Then I don't know why, sorry.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Please provide a bit more detail about what sharing protocol you're using and the system you're deleting the files from. If you have something like the SMB Recycle Bin in play, the files may still be in a "pending actual delete confirmation" state.

NAS777

Dabbler
reboot cleared up 9tb. Unsure what caused this but I am glad I got the space back

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did the reboot take forever? This just sounds like you needed to wait for the space to be reclaimed asynchronously. Since freeing space is a slow operation in ZFS, it is handled asynchronously so as to not interfere with whatever else you're doing, in hopes of finishing in time for whatever else needs the space. In the meantime, said space is not available and is accounted as such.
Any pending freeing must be done at pool import time, before the import concludes. This is a double-edged sword, since it imposes downtime, but makes this process the system's "sole" priority.

Arwen

MVP
Ahh, great call @Ericloewe, I had forgotten about the free list. For future readers, it's this property in a pool;
# zpool get freeing rpool
NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE rpool freeing 0 -
Anytime this is non-zero, it means ZFS has not yet fully returned space from a zfs destroy operation, including removing a snapshot or clone.