SOLVED Dataset full + deleting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Adam-

Dabbler
Hi! Apparently I have not read that filling up dataset is a huge problem. Now I can not free up the space. Could you please help me understand a few things:
#1 - most people have problems with deleting files. I have done that over ssh but this has no input on the free space (why?). I have tried replacing file with /dev/null or echo, but it has not input on free space.
#2 - deleting old snapshots helps but I got only around 3GB of free space now.
#3 - the configuration is mirror - at the beginning I had 2x2TB, Couple of moths ago, after one disk was failing i replaced it with 3TB. At the moment dataset is working on: one 2TB and one 3TB drive. Tomorrow I will get brand new 3TB drive. After replacement of 2TB drive with 3TB the system will give me mirror of 3TB - right?

df -h
Code:
Filesystem	  Size   Used  Avail  Capacity   Mounted on
MIRROR_2TB 3.5G  96K	3.5G   0%			  /mnt/MIRROR_2TB

Thanks in advance for your help!
Adam

-Adam-

Dabbler
Ok, figured it our - snapshots of course! Space was kept in snapshot. Now, everything is back to normal

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
#3 - the configuration is mirror - at the beginning I had 2x2TB, Couple of moths ago, after one disk was failing i replaced it with 3TB. At the moment dataset is working on: one 2TB and one 3TB drive. Tomorrow I will get brand new 3TB drive. After replacement of 2TB drive with 3TB the system will give me mirror of 3TB - right?
You are correct: ZFS will automatically expand the mirror vdev capacity when you replace both drives with larger-capacity drives.

Glad you found the source of the problem: those pesky snapshots that we all both love and hate! :)

-Adam-

Dabbler
Thanks! Fortunately didn't have to use snapshot to recover files, but better to be safe than sorry.

melloa

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.