Degraded disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

obiwan9999

Cadet
I have a 3 disk array right now. one of the harddrives is degraded. how do i swap out the drives. I only currenty have 3 drive locations on the PC itself. Can i just pull the one bad drive out and put in a new one. thank

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Please do have a backup, @obiwan9999 . My guess is you're running RAIDZ1. Rebuilding really thrashes the remaining drives and, if any of the other drives is iffy, replacing a drive and rebuilding could throw another drive causing data loss.

Cheers,
Matt

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have a 3 disk array right now. one of the harddrives is degraded. how do i swap out the drives. I only currenty have 3 drive locations on the PC itself. Can i just pull the one bad drive out and put in a new one. thank
Yea, you didn't specify the pool really, if you have a stripe of 3 drives then you must copy all your data to another location to keep your data safe becasue once you remove a single drive from the pool, all your data is lost. If you have a Mirror or RAIDZ then your data should be fine. You also didn't specify the drive sizes nor stored capacities, factors that will tell you if it's a quick or very long resilvering time. @SweetAndLow provided you the proper reference to replace a hard drive. @MatthewSteinhoff makes a point that your drives could be thrashed. It's best to have low use of the system while you resilver in order to speed up the process. If you have three 12TB drives and they are 70% full, it's going to take days to resilver.

Good Luck!

One more thought, @obiwan9999, even if your computer doesn't have a spare bay, if you have a spare SAS/SATA port and power, you can replace the degraded drive by letting the new drive dangle outside the case without removing the old drive first. This is safer if the old drive isn't totally dead. Once the drive has been replaced, remove the old drive and then install the new drive in the case.

Cheers,
Matt

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.