Deciding a build to SMB sharing workloads

Vbritesp

Cadet
Hello!

I'm new in custom NAS builts so I can't get conclusive directions about what platform to buit... Please could you help me suggesting some directions?

It's worth noticing that I intend to use this NAS as a centralized shared folder where audio and video editing will occur over smb in a local network. I also intend to add 10Gbps pcie cards to expand the bandwidth.

1- Intel or AMD?

2- Can I go for a Desktop mobo and processors (I expect an all flash "5 bay" array) ?

3- I've seen that people are facing some problems when using newer 12/13th Intel processors, should I go for an older one (10th)?

4- Could you suggest a newer as possible CPU that support ECC memories?

Thank you very much! If you could help answering at least one of those questions I would be very thankful! I'm keeping on searching more informations about how to implement a TrueNas system. Nowadays I'm only familiarized with synology systems... I wish I can get more performance spend the same or less on a TrueNas system, is it possible?

MrGuvernment

Patron
First note, this is the FreeNAS area, you should post under the TrueNAS Core or Scale area after reading about each version and which one you think you would prefer to use.

Desktop mobo - nope, do a quick search for others asking about hardware recommendations. Used server gear or at least registered ECC ram supported boards and CPUs.

Older is solid, newer is not always better.

There are many useful threads in the forums going over similar question you are having.

For example if you look at my signature, you can see i just got a HP Workstation with a Xeon for my TrueNAS and it was not too expensive.

What is your budget for this build?
Do you only plan to use SMB shares? Any NFS shares or use it for anything else?

Vbritesp

Cadet
First note, this is the FreeNAS area, you should post under the TrueNAS Core or Scale area after reading about each version and which one you think you would prefer to use.

Desktop mobo - nope, do a quick search for others asking about hardware recommendations. Used server gear or at least registered ECC ram supported boards and CPUs.

Older is solid, newer is not always better.

There are many useful threads in the forums going over similar question you are having.

For example if you look at my signature, you can see i just got a HP Workstation with a Xeon for my TrueNAS and it was not too expensive.

What is your budget for this build?
Do you only plan to use SMB shares? Any NFS shares or use it for anything else?
My budget would be around $850.
Yes, my plan is only to use SMB shares and Cloud Sync backups. I can't think of any other use different from SMB.

Just confirm to me: it's nice a desktop mobo and cpu that support ECC memory, right?

My wish is to have a good cpu that can compete with high end extremely expensive synology nases. Is it possible using modern CPUs that are not xeons? Considere that All I want is SMB flash arrays share.

Thank you for your help.