Sharing speeds, not sure how to build out infrastructure

WOLFofIT

Dabbler
so, still somewhat new to Linux, and TrueNas.

Truenas server
Supermicro X10DRH-iT
2xIntel Xeon E5-2680v3 2.5GHz 12-Core
112gigs of memory (14x 8GB PC4-2400T ECC )
10 g networking.
43TB of storage in raidz
Pool is configured for 8 x 8TB disks and 1 200gig SSD dedicated to cache

vmhost 1
12 CPUs x AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro
32 gigs of ddr4 3200
10g networking

vmhost 2
6 CPUs x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
32 gigs ddr4 3600
10g networking

Originally I planned on building out iSCSI blocks and mount them with in vmware as a datastore. Then build out a vmguest with lets say 20 TB worth of room for a plex server.

Then I noticed I can set plex up directly on the NAS, and not sure if the application directly on the NAS would run better over a guest box with 8 cores/16gig of memory. I have read that newer cpu's can offer more with transcoding, but again I'm new to this.

Not sure of the path to take, any advice?

The goal is to run plex locally as fast as possible for multiple devices.

Switches are managed/10g, but nothing setup fancy.
Assuming iSCsI would be the best way, then vlan would be implemented for isolation

thanks!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are you running TN CORE or TN SCALE? Why are you posting in the legacy section of the forum? Please consider reposting in the appropriate section - your thread won't get much attention here.

If you intend to use iSCSI, did you read this guide?

WOLFofIT

Dabbler
i have no clue where i posted :D
running core, ill repost and read that iscsi page. thanks

MrGuvernment

Patron
200gig SSD dedicated to cache

Why do you feel you need 200G SSD for cache? It wont likely do what you think it might or could even cause slower performance.

WOLFofIT

Dabbler
i assumed the SSD disk would offer as a cache like other builds, more active files are stored on SSD for faster results access.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
i assumed the SSD disk would offer as a cache like other builds, more active files are stored on SSD for faster results access.
ZFS does not work like that. TrueNAS is not a HSM (hierarchical storage management) system.

Recommended reading:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

WOLFofIT

Dabbler
interesting read, so why is plexmedia a native plugin if this is not the intentions or the design of truenas
im getting alot of mixed signals here.

WOLFofIT

Dabbler
make a nas system but never use it beyond 50% or take a huge impact to performance .

WOLFofIT

Dabbler
copy on write is cool but im not going to run sql or any type of "real" database. i build this big boy to add some storage to my network for vods/recoding's. cold storage of old data and setup plex media service.

why is trunas so highly recommended ? this logic is off to me

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Why would you need an HSM for Plex?

And the 50% recommendation is for block storage. Which is dominantly an "enterprise" application - where you have to weigh the cost of "wasted" storage against the cost of Netapp, EMC2, ... appliances compared to TrueNAS.

WOLFofIT

Dabbler
ok so back to the first question, what is the best method of sharing the space i have to offer from my truenas,
I have a 10 gig back bone, and want to achieve fastest speeds possible for both hot/cold data and plex hosting.