Dataset/Pool permissions for Apps and SMB

Dear community,

I am quite new to TrueNAS scale and have encountered a problem I that’s driving me insane. I already spent hours on hours googling and searching this forum, but I couldn’t find an answer yet. It might very well be that all of this is just me stupidity and lack of deeper knowledge, and if there is an easy fix and/or guide on how to solve this I would be more than grateful if somebody could point me to it.

So, the story goes:

I am running an old Optiplex with one SDD for the OS, one SSD for apps and two 6TB HDDs for storage (mirrored). I am running version TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
My two main use cases for my server are as a local NAS for access through a samba share and as a Jellyfin and Nextcloud Server.

Initially everything was going great, I set up my pool (/mnt/Kowloon) with the two mirrored HDDs, created the dataset (/mnt/Kownloon/Mongkok) and the user ‘gorgor’ and made him the owner of the dataset. I then added a SMB share and started loading all my files onto the NAS using my Windows PC.

After that I started setting up my Jellyfin server, which is installed on a different pool and dataset (/mnt/Lamma/ix-applications). I want it to access the same dataset I use for my SMB (/mnt/Kowloon/Mongkok) share since this is where I save my media files through my laptop. I couldn’t access my Dataset through Jellyfin. Then I found out I must give the ‘apps’ user permission to access my dataset in order to read my files. So, I did this and Jellyfin could access my files without problems.

But from that moment on, I couldn’t access my SMB share from my windows machine anymore. Windows prompts that I have no permission to access that share. I assumed this was due to the changed permissions of the dataset. After changing the owner back to the ‘gorgor’ user it could still not access it through SMB. When changing the owner of the Dataset from ‘apps’ back to ‘gorgor’ through the ‘edit permissions’ tab, it does not post an error. But when I try to edit the ACL and set ‘gorgor’ as owner it promps the following error:

[EINVAL] filesystem_acl.path: Filesystem permissions on path /mnt/Kowloon prevent access for user gorgor to the path /mnt/Kowloon/Mongkok. This may be fixed by granting the aforementioned user execute permissions on the path: /mnt/Kowloon.

Creating a new dataset on the same pool gives me exactly the same issue.

So, it appears to me I need to change the permissions of the pool itself, but how on earth would I do this and is this even recommended in any way?
Or am I approaching this whole topic from the wrong angle?

I am very much looking forward to you replies and am happy to share any further information, screenshots, logs, etc.

Thanks and all the best, Gorgor

Gonna bump this real quick, since I have not been able to solve the issu until now. Any advice or point in the right direction will be very much appreciated :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Code:
[EINVAL] filesystem_acl.path: Filesystem permissions on path /mnt/Kowloon prevent access for user gorgor to the path /mnt/Kowloon/Mongkok. This may be fixed by granting the aforementioned user execute permissions on the path: /mnt/Kowloon.

This error message states that your permissions on /mnt/Kowloon are broken and you need to fix them. I thought it's rather clear. What is output of stat /mnt/Kowloon

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes I did also understand that I have a problem with the pools permissions, I just didn't not find anywhere to change them.

Anyhow, stat /mnt/Kowloon outputs the following:

Code:
  File: /mnt/Kowloon
  Size: 5               Blocks: 1          IO Block: 512    directory
Device: 33h/51d Inode: 34          Links: 4
Access: (0770/drwxrwx---)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (   33/www-data)
Access: 2022-09-22 07:35:47.607960265 -0700
Modify: 2022-10-10 04:53:23.589202758 -0700
Change: 2022-10-10 04:53:23.589202758 -0700
 Birth: 2022-09-22 07:35:47.607960265 -0700

Best, Gorgor