Dataset folder hidden files

Status
Not open for further replies.

carleycr

Patron
I have a media dataset that's connected to multiple plugins that read/write to it such as Sab, Transmission, Plex. About a 3 weeks ago I noticed more than half of my movies in Plex were missing. I navigate to my NFS share of the media file location that Plex points to. When I attempt to add a file from a backup to the media files location, it says the file already exists. It's as if the files are there, but hidden. The only thing I can think of what would have caused this would have been an update to to FreeNAS. I've since updated to 11.0-U4 thinking that would fix the issue, but no luck.

Any idea on how to show these hidden files or update permissions to show the files? Any thoughts as to why these files would have all of a sudden become hidden?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Why are you posting this problem again in this thread, what happened to the other thread you had going here?

Tell you what, lets look at this again but you need to treat this as if you and I are an idiot and know nothing at all. Be very descriptive in your answers since an assumption will kill the troubleshooting.

In the meantime I want you to try this for one of the files that you say must be already present...
1) Open an SSH window.
2) cd /mnt/Vol1/media
3) ls -all -R > /tmp/fileslist.txt
4) Now lets look at this data...
5) ee /tmp/fileslist.txt
6) Did you see your file? If you did then post the entire line for that file.
7) If you did not see your file then it does not exist in the /Vol1/media location. Is this the location you are trying to store it?

carleycr

Patron
Joe, I thought by posting another thread, but with different content, would help the effort.

I think I see the file. Looks like multiple chunks of lines?
Code:
root@freenas:/mnt/Vol1/media # ee /tmp/fileslist.txt

^[ (escape) menu ^y search prompt ^k delete line   ^p prev li	 ^g prev page

^o ascii code	^x search		^l undelete line ^n next li	 ^v next page

^u end of file   ^a begin of line ^w delete word   ^b back 1 char ^z next word

^t top of text   ^e end of line   ^r restore word  ^f forward char

^c command	   ^d delete char   ^j undelete char			  ESC-Enter: exit

=====line 1 col 0 lines from top 1 ============================================

total 8453

drwxrwxr-x+ 5 media  media	 9 Nov  5 20:55 .

-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 media  media  4096 Feb 22  2015 ._.apdisk

-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 media  media  4096 Feb 22  2015 ._.TemporaryItems

drwxr-xr-x  7 root   wheel	 7 Feb 10  2015 ..

-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 media  media   291 Feb 22  2015 .apdisk

drwxrwxr-t+ 3 media  media	 4 Feb 22  2015 .TemporaryItems

-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 media  media	 0 Apr  3  2015 .windows

drwxrwxr-x+ 4 media  media	 4 May 17  2017 downloads

drwxrwxr-x+ 4 media  media	 4 May 15  2016 videos

./.TemporaryItems:

total 8370

drwxrwxr-t+ 3 media  media	 4 Feb 22  2015 .

-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 media  media  4096 Feb 22  2015 ._folders.501

drwxrwxr-x+ 5 media  media	 9 Nov  5 20:55 ..

drwxrwxr-x+ 2 media  media	 2 Feb 22  2015 folders.501

file "/tmp/fileslist.txt", 228152 lines

===============================================================================

total 8453

./.TemporaryItems:

total 8370

total 8453

./.TemporaryItems:

total 8370

===============================================================================

total 8453

./.TemporaryItems:

total 8370

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure what you did but just list the single file you are trying to locate if you found it. Let me explain this better...

Lets say you have a file you are trying to save called "Stripes.mkv" but when you try to save it the system tells you that the file already exists. Now we need to look in the file that we just created "/tmp/fileslist.txt" for the file name "Stripes.mkv". Now you open the file using "ee" or your favorite test reader/editor and you search for the file "Stripes.mkv". If you can export the file /tmp/fileslist.txt off the system then you could use WordPad to do a search for the file name.

Now lets say you do locate the file name, what I need is the full line of text related to this file. It may look like this:
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 3564 Aug 31 18:24 Stripes.mkv

This is the data I'm interested in.

If you cannot locate the file then that is one issue, if the file can be located then it's a different issue. I hope you can find the files and then fix them with a permissions change.

could this be what's causing @carleycr trouble?

Code:
/mnt/Vol1/DS1										 6689659865 1912373150 4777286715	29%	/mnt/Vol1/jails/customplugin_1/mnt/media

/mnt/Vol1/media									   9033762960 4256476245 4777286715	47%	/mnt/Vol1/jails/customplugin_1/mnt/media

carleycr

Patron
I'm not sure what you did but just list the single file you are trying to locate if you found it. Let me explain this better...

Lets say you have a file you are trying to save called "Stripes.mkv" but when you try to save it the system tells you that the file already exists. Now we need to look in the file that we just created "/tmp/fileslist.txt" for the file name "Stripes.mkv". Now you open the file using "ee" or your favorite test reader/editor and you search for the file "Stripes.mkv". If you can export the file /tmp/fileslist.txt off the system then you could use WordPad to do a search for the file name.

Now lets say you do locate the file name, what I need is the full line of text related to this file. It may look like this:
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 3564 Aug 31 18:24 Stripes.mkv

This is the data I'm interested in.

If you cannot locate the file then that is one issue, if the file can be located then it's a different issue. I hope you can find the files and then fix them with a permissions change.
Thanks for the patience and dumbing it down for me. I had to go a few more layers deep to get the tmp file to list all the media files within the movie folder. I searched for a few of the files I'd expect to be there and I did not find them.

@cobrakiller58 I have the jail pointed to those datasets so the plugins can read from those datasets.

It might be worthy to note that I do have a bunch, but not all, of the movies backed up to DS1, as that is the dataset that I transferred from my external hard drive that I used for storage before I built the freenas box. When I attempt to move a file from DS1 dataset to the media dataset, it says a file with the name "" already exists, when I did not see it in the temp txt file.

joeschmuck

Old Man
could this be what's causing @carleycr trouble?

Code:
/mnt/Vol1/DS1										 6689659865 1912373150 4777286715	29%	/mnt/Vol1/jails/customplugin_1/mnt/media

/mnt/Vol1/media									   9033762960 4256476245 4777286715	47%	/mnt/Vol1/jails/customplugin_1/mnt/media
I think we have a winner!

@carleycr basically you have /mnt/Vol1/DS and /mnt/Vol1/media linked together via /mnt/Vol1/jails/customplugin_1/mnt/media so you cannot copy from /mnt/Vol1/DS to /mnt/Vol1/media becasue the file exists due ot the link. It's like copying from /mnt/Vol1/DS to /mnt/Vol1/DS. You will need to delete this jail link to do the copies you desire. Let us know how it goes.

carleycr

Patron
I removed the DS1 link from the jail storage, restarted the jail, tried to transfer from DS1 file share to media file share, but still get same error that the file already exists.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think the only way to figure this out might be to log into your system and check it out. I'm pretty busy but if you would liek me to I can use TeamViewer and PM me and we could set it up. All that I ask is you have a few things ready to go...

1) A web browser opened to the FreeNAS GUI and logged in.
2) Putty running and and SSH window open logged in as root. I want you logged in so I don't have to enter your root password.
3) The full paths of just a single file that you are trying to copy from and to, including the file name.
4) A notepad or text window open so we can typer notes to each other. I like notepad, wordpad, or word, or similar.

If you want to do this just contact me and we can try to set up a time. I'm free for the next 30 minutes for certain. Also I will do no harm. If there is something that I feel needs your blessing, I will stop to explain it and if you say to go ahead, I'll continue. No matter what I will not delete any files for which I didn't create.

carleycr

Patron
Joe, sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier. Worked late today. I'll PM you.

joeschmuck

Old Man
This is an update.

First of all I'm not a MAC user nor NFS but that is what I ran into.

So we can copy file via CLI with out issue. We went over the basics and @carleycr seems very capable to handle moving files by hand if desired.

The problem is in fact NFS and I suspect permissions for that or something I'm very not familiar with. I'm hoping someone here can offer this person a helping hand in either fixing the NFS permissions or setting up SMB to work on the MAC. I believe SMB is the better path in the long run but not being a MAC person, eh, what do I know?

We also when over linking to jail folders and created two sub-directories within the jail called "/mnt/media/video_test1" and "/mnt/media/video_test2" and the OP will link the two datasets "/mnt/Vol1/DS1" and "/mnt/Vol1/media/" to these respectively. This will keep the two datasets separate. Ultimately the OP wants all the media on one dataset and is going to work towards that goal.

So now it's up to someone else to offer a hand or pointer to help out.

Thanks Folks!
P.S. I hope I captured all of it correctly.

carleycr

Patron
Thanks again for helping out Joe. I took a look at Plex this morning to see if the file that Joe and I copied over via SSH showed up in Plex. It does, however, show two of that file (screenshot attached) in Plex, but only 1 in the file share. Definitely agree with Joe that it seems permissions related.

The other odd part is that I had the two datasets pointed to the Jail for almost 3 years with Plex reading them and no issues. Why all of a sudden did this happen. Was it an update to the old 9.10 version? Curious to know if this is effecting other users out there.
Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 8.31.38 AM.png

carleycr

Patron
Can someone point me in the right direction to help with NFS permissions? I'm not having much luck with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

carleycr

Patron
Bump

carleycr

Patron
Bump

IceBoosteR

Guru
NFS is way more tricky as to handle permissions with SMB. Easier to maintain and multi-platform capable.
So why do you see two of those files, when only one is on the dataset? I don't know and I suggest even Plex don't know it. Maybe you can rebuilt the internal database of Plex and see if this artifact is gone?
Just delete the media library should do this...
I am not thaaat confident with NFS, I would like to bump you to the SMB side, as for Mac the AFP support has been deprecated.

carleycr

Patron
NFS is way more tricky as to handle permissions with SMB. Easier to maintain and multi-platform capable.
So why do you see two of those files, when only one is on the dataset? I don't know and I suggest even Plex don't know it. Maybe you can rebuilt the internal database of Plex and see if this artifact is gone?
Just delete the media library should do this...
I am not thaaat confident with NFS, I would like to bump you to the SMB side, as for Mac the AFP support has been deprecated.
Just so I'm clear on what you're suggesting. You're suggesting that the PlexMedia database is needing rebuilt and to just delete the media library and rebuild it? That seems like a very risky solution that doesn't necessarily fix the root issue, which it seems to still be permissions related.

@joeschmuck, could I move this to a different board to get more traction related to permissions?

IceBoosteR

Guru
Just so I'm clear on what you're suggesting. You're suggesting that the PlexMedia database is needing rebuilt and to just delete the media library and rebuild it? That seems like a very risky solution that doesn't necessarily fix the root issue, which it seems to still be permissions related.

@joeschmuck, could I move this to a different board to get more traction related to permissions?
Yes - you can make a backup before. If it doen't wortk, restore from backup.
Just my 2 cents...

carleycr

Patron
Can you please guide me to a somewhere on the forum to backup my plex database? When I navigate to /var/db/plexdata in my jail that plex lives in, it will not let me copy that directy, nor do I have write permissions to the dataset I want to write to.

carleycr

Patron
I think I may have some more information to help figure out my permissions issues. When I originally setup my Freenas on 9.2 and created my datasets, I don't recall there being options to choose the "share type". I have two datasets with media files that are both CIFS "share types" under the dataset properties. However, one dataset has a NFS share, and the other dataset has a CIFS and NFS share. I can't access the CIFS share dataset using CIFS, as I have a Mac. That's why I created an NFS share for that dataset.

It's my understanding this could cause a mess with permissions. I'm assuming if I change the share type of the dataset, that will cause more issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.