Cannot Make Folder Hidden in CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Explorer
I am connected to my FreeNAS box via CIFS and I want to make my jails folder hidden. I went into the FreeNAS GUI and made sure that "Show Hidden Files" was unchecked in the CIFS settings.

In Windows Explorer I navigate to my FreeNAS box, go to the jails folder, right click it and hit properties. In properties I check the "Hidden" option. I then hit the option that says "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" It then prompts me to continue with administrator permissions - which I do. Then I get the following error:

An error occured applying attributes to the file:

F:\jails

The system cannot find the path specified

What is the issue?

_Will_

Explorer

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's likely because ACLs don't apply to jails. You also don't *want* them to apply or you'd break your jails. ;)

If you want them hidden the only two ways I know are to:

1. Not include them in the path of any share that exists
2. Make the jails folder/dataset with a period as the first letter and set the parameter for CIFS dot files hidden = yes (or something like that). That will ensure that Windows won't see it.

Knowltey

Patron
Regarding jails, do what cyberjock said and not have them be part of a share (Really shouldn't be in userspace anyhow)

If you want to make other folders hidden though just don't give permissions on it to people you don't want to have access to it and the server won't even let people know that it's even there.

Status
Not open for further replies.