SOLVED data corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Hi, guys

Yesterday I updated my machine to the latest update FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840. it went A ok and rebooted just fine so I just left it to do it's regular chores (backup at night).
Anyway , I got a email in 3am saying that the system did a scrub on the boot disk (USB). After I went into the office, I tried to log on to the freenas web page. the page doesn't show. I had to went into the server room and plug and unplug the usb for the bios to detect the USB.
it then booted up with a red alert saying that

The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

I have no idea if it's the update caused the problem or something went wrong with USB or my hard reset during scrubbing that caused the errors .

Anyway, if someone could tell me what I should do with this situation. Also, I want to dual USB or mirror the boot drive . but what are the safest way to do it?
Thanks a bunch for helping a newbie. :)

zpool status -v showed that

state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 7h34m with 4 errors on Tue Jan 26 11:19:57 2016
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/e1acd012-9353-11e5-b5de-0cc47a09c45e ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840@2015-11-25-01:19:42:/u
sr/include/vm/vm_page.h
sr/include/vm/vm_pager.h
sr/include/vm/vm_param.h
sr/include/vm/vm_phys.h

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Time to get a new boot device. That one is trashed. :P

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
wow, my IT ppl got me the USB for my freenas system. I suppose Tran?cend ain't that reliable??!!
good thing, I just ordered 4 sandisk just in case the USB is the source of the problem.
Thank you cyberjock

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
wow, my IT ppl got me the USB for my freenas system. I suppose Tran?cend ain't that reliable??!!
good thing, I just ordered 4 sandisk just in case the USB is the source of the problem.
Thank you cyberjock
USB sticks are like buying coke from the streets in a large city - you never know what you're going to get. Or was that a box of chocolates?

Anyway, you should expect these things to fail periodically and plan accordingly (save a backup of your config after every major change and keep a spare USB flash drive around). If you feel particularly ambitious, use two of them in a mirror or buy a smallish ssd to boot from.

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Ordered 4 Sandisk USB sticks online. Gonna do use 2 of them in a mirror . Did some reading on mirroring the usb which should be quite straightforward. Will do backups on config before and after updates in the future. :)
Just a quick question though, if boot drive really go bad, do I just install freenas on a new usb stick and import the volume ? the data would still be intact ? (Except the config of course)

rsquared

Explorer
Yes, that would work. Even better is to have the config backed up that you can restore on the new stick, and it will already know about the pool (along with all your other settings) and will import it automatically.

tvsjr

Guru
Or you could buy two cheap SSDs (or find two cheap, outmoded SSDs that you may have laying around somewhere), find somewhere to install them, and basically never worry about them again. Assuming you have space and ports free.

I still can't wrap my brain around building a whiz-bang HA storage box... and trusting its boot to a USB stick.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Even one SSD will be far better; any good brand (Sandisk, Crucial, Intel, Samsung, ...) 32 GB+ SSD will be perfect ;)

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
AS much as I would like to... but eventually it pretty much boils down to ---->MONEY MONEY MONEY!!
I did a bit of digging and found that 32G ssd it's pretty much out of stock everywhere in my country. on top of that
it costs like 1000 Taiwan dollars for a non-branded ssd VS 280 for 2 USBs (Sandisk 16G).

If someone could kind enough answer me this, I attached my new USB stick under System -> boot status.
and try to boot from the attached USB sticks but was unable to boot from it. any idea why?

Last edited:

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Also I attached a second USB stick, which now with total of 3 USB stick, 1 is the boot drive which is supposedly trashed, and another 2 new ones. when I attached the second USB sticks, the screen shows it's now mirrored with the boot drive. so I thought if I attach the 3rd USB
I should be able to replace the boot drive. but I can't . I know in the guide says that I can only replace the boot drive if it shows offline.
but how to I make it so that it shows offline so I can replace it?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The User guide doesn't tell you how to offline a drive? I'm actually being serious, I haven't looked at it in a while. Look at the User guide again, that should have the steps you need to follow to replace the boot device properly. Also ensure you have made a backup of your configuration file just in case you mess something up.

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Reading up on the User guide again, there is a selection on how to replace a hard drive and how to offline the hard drives, but it doesn't say anything about how to offline the boot drive but even without offline the USB , replace bottom is at the bottom of the screen.
I believe i made a mistake of attaching the 3rd USB when I should just use the replace bottom instead.
Also I've removed the problematic boot drive, and wanted to use what is left of the mirrored USB to boot up, but it doesn't boot up. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, At this stage, I think i just gonna backup my config and reinstall freenas on a new drives just to save me the trouble.

Cheers

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Yes....
I tried 3 times and 2 USB sticks
first time is my own fault for using a different brand of usb stick and the size difference caused the problem
2nd time it stuck at Grub.
3rd time was able to load, but stuck during detecting lan uplink or somewhere in that process.
so I gave it up and reinstalled freenas and everything is A OK again..
simple and easy without having to worry of what if the next reboot something went wrong

joeschmuck

Old Man
Your solution is exactly what I would have done, backup the config file and just rebuild both good USB flash drives and then restore the config file. For me it gives me the knowledge that I mirrored the devices properly. Good job and I appreciate that you figured it out, many folks here just want an solution handed to them without doing any digging on their own. There will be more drive replacements in your future so knowing where the references are to help you out is a good thing. I'll have to look at the User Guide to see what it says about replacing a mirrored boot drive and see if it should be updated.

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Thank you.
I figured a Newbie such as me is gonna need as much help as I can get. but before I ask any questions, I should at least read up or google related information before I ask, that way I have at least identify the potential problems or solutions. and then seek answers or opinions.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.