Boot Device Data Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIlverSix311

Cadet
Hey guys,
First time posting here, and I'm still somewhat new to FreeNAS as a whole. I just had a scrub show some corruption on my USB stick/s and I'm trying to figure out what I should do here.

Code:

[root@VILE-NAS] /boot/grub/locale# zpool status -xv
  pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
		corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
		entire pool from backup.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h6m with 1 errors on Tue Jun 27 16:05:29 2017
config:

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 1
		  mirror-0  ONLINE	   0	 0	 2
			da24p2  ONLINE	   0	 0	 2
			da25p2  ONLINE	   0	 0	 2

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

/boot/grub/locale/nb.mo

I have 2 USB sticks in RAID1 I do believe. Just not sure how I should restore this file, or if there is something else I should do.
Thanks,
SilverSix311

rs225

Guru
What is your system specs, particularly RAM? Have you ever run a memory test on it?

I don't think that one file is very important, but how it happened is.

melloa

Wizard
Back-up your config and replace that USB stick. Get a new one and install fresh/import/volume and config. Also look into get a 2nd USB stick and mirror the boot to avoid future down time.

SIlverSix311

Cadet
I have 2 USB sticks mirrored.
As far as my system:
SUPERMICRO 4U 24-BAY 846E1-R900B X8DTE-F 2X L5520 8GB 24x TRAYS LSI 9210-8i with 56GB 10600R ECC Memory.
I have not run a memory test.

melloa

Wizard
Came up empty searching that error. Here the only reference I've found is yours :(

With that said, my recommendation still: save your config, reinstall, import volume and config. If you want to wait for other folks opinion, save your config ;)

nojohnny101

Wizard
Like @melloa said, save your config then install fresh to mirrored flash drives. To save some money you can try to just use the same two ones and monitor them to see if the error pops up again. If so, then replace the flash drives.

People on here tend to recommend cheap SSDs over flash drives as they are vastly more reliable and save you headaches in the long run. This is, of course, if you have a free sata port.

Status
Not open for further replies.