Daily disk fault at 04:30

liteswap

Dabbler
My TrueNAS instance (TrueNAS-12.0-U4) runs as a VM under VMware ESXi, with the SAS controller and disks passed through for direct access. Every morning at around 0430, I get an alert that one disk is faulted. A reboot of the VM resilvers a tiny amoutn and the fault indication is removed (see below). Note that the disks do not power cycle because the host server stays up.

The host server is powered through a UPS so I would assume that the power is smoothed which in my mind would rule out a power glitch. I also find it unlikely that there’s an actual fault with the disks, since are only just over a year old - they are 14TB Seagate IronWolfs – and this behaviour has only recently evidenced itself even though they’ve been powered up continuously since installation. And it wouldn't be a daily occurrence.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Thank you.

Code:
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
  scan: resilvered 51.5M in 00:00:04 with 0 errors on Wed Sep  8 08:36:20 2021
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank                                            ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/a5b2b36a-a99d-11ea-8b4f-000c29f4b07c  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/a5d5643f-a99d-11ea-8b4f-000c29f4b07c  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/a5e3f313-a99d-11ea-8b4f-000c29f4b07c  ONLINE       0     0     1

errors: No known data errors

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Every morning at around 0430
Is that when you run a SMART test?

Any other maintenance tasks run on the ESXi at that time?

with the SAS controller and disks passed through for direct access
And in your signature:
3 x 14TB Seagate drives via direct-accessed

Can you clarify how the disks are passed through?

Are you passing through the entire PCI HBA? or is the HBA managed by ESXi and only the disks passed in?

liteswap

Dabbler
As per my first post, both controller and disks are passed through.

I shall check for SMART tests timing (could be that I guess) and for other tasks. Thanks for the steer.

sretalla