Currently recommended HBA (used)

Kosta

Contributor
Hello,
In short: I have a Supermicro X11 with 4110 and currently a single 9211-8i HBA in IT-Mode for TrueNAS on ESXi.
I am going be to expanding to 24 drives in upcoming years, and would like a 2nd HBA, preferrably used.
Was looking at LSI 9201-16i on eBay for €170.
Is that a recommended solution nowdays or is there a better choice for the money?
Thank you.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The 93xx series is twice as fast and can handle faster SSDs, but if that's not in your plans, then the card you're looking at will drive HDDs just fine.

Kosta

Contributor
Indeed, that is not in my plans. 24 disk array is actually for "data-dump". Capacity before speed. I have little need for fast storage. If I need it fast, I want it to be on NVMEs, and not SSDs - in that case, speed before capacity. Currently having 2 Samsung NVMEs that are my productive datastores.
So yes, thank you, I think I'll go with that card.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If I need it fast, I want it to be on NVMEs, and not SSDs
Just for clarity, those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive...

Many people refer to M.2 NVME drives as SSDs...

Also, even taking form factor into account, there are 2.5" NVME SSDs which usually have a U2 style interface (which can connect to an appropriate HBA at faster speeds than SATA)

Like this one:

Kosta

Contributor
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant, I most likely won't be going for 2,5 inch drives on the backplane (hot-swap). I decided to go with Inter-Tech 4724 case, which has a backplane-upgrade-option to 12G. But for now, 6G is enough. The only part where I might think about implementing SSDs is for TrueNAS caching and ESXi boot. And these will fit somewhere in the case and be connected to SATA directly.
And NVMEs: one is on the mainboard directly, and all others will go into slots via adapters, if more than two are ever needed.

I was aware, but didn't know exactly, that there are other solutions. However, I am trying to keep it simple and within a certain budget. While I love such stuff at work, we have two sites with VMware SRM, Horizon and all that, at home, I am trying to keep it in sensible proportions. I just need storage space :)