AMD based build and specific parts

anotheruser

Cadet
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my old setup (Intel 3370k, 32GB ram) and get a new setup that can be used for both VMs and NAS.

Currently have and plan to re-use
- 8x 16TB
- 2x 512 GB SSD mirrored boot
- 1x X520-DA2
- 1x Fractal Design 7XL

Currently have and can chose to not use or buy more of
- 1x LSI 9200-8i

Currently plan to get:
- PRIME PX-1000 (18 drives * 30W * 1.2 overage ~ 648 W just on drives)
- 2x 2TB NVME

I would like an AMD 5950x and want 128GB of ECC ram. I didn't think the EPYC 7313p was worth it, but open to other ideas. I will be expanding with 10 more 16TB drives (making 18x 16tb total). I already have an OOB setup (pikvm) that works well enough.

I am having trouble selecting actual specific parts to buy.

- Which motherboard should I get?
- Which specific ram to get?
- I will need at least one more HBA should I get a -16i, or do 2x 8 ports? And which one SAS2 or SAS 3?

Nick2253

Wizard
There are really three ways to go about your build:
  • Server class
  • Workstation class
  • Whatever class
For 5000 series, there are very few server-class boards available. ASRock has a handful, so that would be your best bet if you go that route. I couldn't find any Supermicro mobos that support AM4, and Gigabyte has one, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. With a proper server motherboard, you'll have options for decent onboard HBAs, built-in high-end NICs, and other goodies. Motherboards will be spec'd appropriately for TrueNAS use cases, and there will be no questions about RAM capacity or ECC support.

Workstation class immediately gives you more options, but it comes with some caveats. Workstation motherboards on average have lesser build quality than server equipment, and are not designed to run 24/7. That doesn't mean they can't, and some workstation gear is very high end, but that works as a general rule. The gear is also designed to support a bunch of use cases that don't apply to our needs here, like audio, serial, tons of USB, etc. It's usually straightforward to determine the real memory capacity of a workstation motherboard, and if it has ECC support. Furthermore, workstations do have some advanced applications, so you'll likely find some options with 10Gbps NICs or built in HBAs, but you have to be careful that you're not getting trash components (Realtek being the worst offender).

In the whatever class, you're getting, well, whatever. If you're buying stuff with RGB headers, "Gamerz" in the title, or similar, you're here. No guarantees on build quality, component selection, or compatibility. The really high-end gaming stuff can be reliable, but if you're at that level, why not just buy a proper workstation or server motherboard?

---

Now, all that being said, it depends on your use case. If you're building a mission critical box, then your choice is clear. If you're just dinking around with stuff at home, then you have more flexibility.

For my home stuff, I go with at least workstation class. I find that around 2 generation old workstation hardware hits the sweet spot for price/performance/reliability for me, and lets me have a lot of fun with a limited budget. Yes, there are complications, and yes sometimes I have to go out and buy extra add-in cards to get the reliability I need (Realtek NICs, I'm shaking my fist at you!), but overall it's pretty solid.

anotheruser

Cadet
Thanks for the detailed reply.

My use case is just home stuff, and I also don't mind buying current gen Motherboard and other gear.

The three classes you enumerated are exactly where I am at, just need to pick one that I can actually buy right now that will work, have at least one USB 3.1 gen 2 type C port would be useful but I think even server boards cover that, for example ROMED8-2T does, it would necessitate a switch to epyc 7313p however.

Gaining the built in HBA or 10GB NIC isn't immediately useful as I have a legit NIC already and at least half the HBA needed and could buy another. Built-in makes it easy as well but while I don't mind spending money i would like to not have redundancies in parts I already have and have a lower TCO.

fmgda

Cadet
I see you're leaning towards the EPYC 7313p; do you know if it's fully supported in TrueNAS Scale? I'm considering putting it together with a reused Supermicro H12SSL-CT I got in discount.

NugentS

MVP
Just to add, for NAS's you may find you need lots of PCIe lanes for addin cards and similar. Workstation class chips tend to have limited lanes = very limited slots. Server chips have a lot more lanes = more slots = more goodness
Epyc has LOTS of lanes.