CrystalDiskMark on Server 2012 R2 with NFS Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
So, there is another thread about NFS being slow (with ESXi). Anyways, I figured I would toss a couple tests at it (No SLOG, S3710 SLOG, Samsung SLOG, etc) even though I don't use NFS (iSCSI here).

Did the norms, made the Pool (Mirrors), DataSet and Share. Mapped ("mount" command) it from my MS Hyper-V Server (Server 2012 R2 DataCenter). Checked to see if I could create a folder and file, both of which worked fine.

Launched CrystalDiskMark and kick off a sanity test (was doing it at first without any SLOG).

Results come up but nothing shows for any write speeds (example below).
upload_2016-9-13_20-28-27.png

Weird... Anyone seen this of know of a possible issue?

Mlovelace

Guru
What options are you mounting in windows with? Looks like the crystal disk mark process doesn't have write access.

Mirfster

Mlovelace

Guru
Windows doesn't seem to handle NFS mounts very well. It's probably creating the folder/file then locking out permissions to said folder/file. The best way around that is to add the UID and GID of the mapped freenas user account to the windows anonymous user connection. To do that open regedit, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ClientForNFS\CurrentVersion\Default] and create two new DWORDs named AnonymousUid and AnonymousGid with a decimal value of whatever freenas user UID and GID is (example of root would be 0 and 0). Restart the NFS service and run the below mount command again. Create a text file and try to edit and save the changes. If it saves then crystaldiskmark should work.

Code:
mount -o nolock,anon,fileaccess=7,mtype=hard \\computername\pathtoshare *

Mirfster

Mlovelace

Guru
Will give it a whirl in a little bit. Used the pool for some other testing so I whacked it. But, can easily recreate it. ;)
I didn't have access to a computer last night otherwise I would have gotten back to you sooner. I do think it's odd that iX would sell a samsung 850 for a slog device being that it has the potential to destroy the buyer's data...

Mirfster

No worries, I like experimenting anyways. While I don't have the Samsung Pro (Just an Evo), I agree that it being provided as a SLOG is weird. Figured some test results would help the OP in the other thread. Worst case, I think they got the point, but still would be fun to test.

Mirfster

Windows doesn't seem to handle NFS mounts very well. It's probably creating the folder/file then locking out permissions to said folder/file. The best way around that is to add the UID and GID of the mapped freenas user account to the windows anonymous user connection. To do that open regedit, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ClientForNFS\CurrentVersion\Default] and create two new DWORDs named AnonymousUid and AnonymousGid with a decimal value of whatever freenas user UID and GID is (example of root would be 0 and 0). Restart the NFS service and run the below mount command again. Create a text file and try to edit and save the changes. If it saves then crystaldiskmark should work.

Code:
mount -o nolock,anon,fileaccess=7,mtype=hard \\computername\pathtoshare *
You Da Man! While it didn't let me simply restart the "Client For NFS" Service, a reboot did the trick. Got me some CrystalDiskMark results, so minus well do a little testing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.