Critique my FreeNAS build list, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulburn

Contributor
Hi everyone,

I am currently putting together a FreeNAS server that I will use for NAS, SAN, and iSCSI targets in my home. It will host my media via CIFS and also be used with an iSCSI target as a datastore for my ESXi home lab. Any feedback on my build list or potential issues would be highly appreciated. I really want to avoid having to buy/RMA stuff because things don't fit/aren't compatible and I want to get it right on the first try.

Specific questions I have about this build:

• Does anyone have any experience with the Supermicro CSE-836BA-R920B case and the MBD-X8DTi-LN4F-O motherboard in terms of fit?
  • Does anyone have any experience running the particular Crucial ECC RAM (CT16G3ERSLD41339) with the MBD-X8DTi-LN4F-O motherboard in terms of compatibility?
  • It looks like the Supermicro CSE-836BA-R920B case has SFF-8087 connectors on the backplane, how does the backplane power the hard drives (Molex, SATA, etc.)?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for this combo for a HSF. I just picked an Intel BXSTS100A based on reviews and want to be sure it will fit.

Builds Specs:

OS
Freenas 9.2.1.6 x64 on 16GB USB memory stick.

Storage Layout
16x - 4TB drives.
8 drives per HBA and VDev.
2 zpools.
RAIDZ2 on each zpool. (2 drives can fail per zpool)
24TB usable per zpool, 48 TB usable total. 4 drive failures allowed in total.

Stuff I already have:
CPU

RAM

HBAs

HBA cables

HDDs

Stuff I need to buy:
Case

PSUs
2x - 920 watt redundant PSU's included in above case.

Motherboard

HSF

diehard

Contributor
Is there a reason you would go with such an old processor?

No need to worry about power to the backplane, it will come already hooked up to its PSU.

soulburn

Contributor
I chose that CPU because I already have it and would like to avoid purchasing a new one. Thanks for the info about the backplane, that makes things a lot easier.

diehard

Contributor
Then the only thing i can see is those SAS cables are .. too expensive. Monoprice has some for around $10, and im sure newegg has cheaper ones.

You could save some money by using different HBA's .. like the IBM M1015.

Status
Not open for further replies.