Creating Dataset specifically for SMB vs other method

paulinventome

Explorer
I've seen it written that you need to specifically set the share type to SMB when creating a Dataset and that people 'have learnt the hard way'

I can't actually remember when I created the datasets whether I did that, but I have them shared in the SMB section. I am seeing some what I think might be performance issues and I'm troubleshooting.

But I have seen this mentioned a few times yet not been able to find out *why*, so may I ask

1) Why should be explicitly set SMB when creating the dataset?
2) Can I find out whether an existing dataset was set up this way or retrospectively adjust it?

Many thanks!
Paul

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've seen it written that you need to specifically set the share type to SMB when creating a Dataset and that people 'have learnt the hard way'

I can't actually remember when I created the datasets whether I did that, but I have them shared in the SMB section. I am seeing some what I think might be performance issues and I'm troubleshooting.

But I have seen this mentioned a few times yet not been able to find out *why*, so may I ask

1) Why should be explicitly set SMB when creating the dataset?
2) Can I find out whether an existing dataset was set up this way or retrospectively adjust it?

Many thanks!
Paul

There are three things that happen when a dataset is configured as an SMB dataset:
1) casesensitive property is set to insensitive
2) aclmode property is set to restricted
3) default ACL set that grants access to local users who have the `SMB` checkbox set when they were created (this is default on new user creation)

(1) is immutable, but also not required
(2) impacts interaction between chmod(2) and existing ACL to prevent chmod(2) from breaking permissions
(3) can be done manually. Just select an ACL from template and add the group "builtin_users" to it.

paulinventome

Explorer
There are three things that happen when a dataset is configured as an SMB dataset:
1) casesensitive property is set to insensitive
2) aclmode property is set to restricted
3) default ACL set that grants access to local users who have the `SMB` checkbox set when they were created (this is default on new user creation)

(1) is immutable, but also not required
(2) impacts interaction between chmod(2) and existing ACL to prevent chmod(2) from breaking permissions
(3) can be done manually. Just select an ACL from template and add the group "builtin_users" to it.
Thank you.

Can I assume then if I look on a dataset and case sensitive is 'Sensitive' then it clearly wasn't set up as SMB in the first place? How much of an issue could that present on Mac OS X and Windows 10?

Then if I change 2) to Restricted that will be okay?

These are the only 3 issues, there is no underlying performance penalties?

Kindest
Paul