Creating a personal cloud (Remote sharing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matlock

Contributor
Hello all!
First post here on the freenas forums, hopefully as i pick all of your brains and i become familiar with freenas- i'll be able to contribute one day.

I have dabbled with freenas a bit with reused commputers here and there but i'm finally shelling out some cash to build me a nas box. My question is creating a personal cloud, something similar to dropbox.

I've tried iscsi- and couldn't figure out how to connect to it from OUTSIDE my home network. I did get the ftp going at one point, and all was good there- but that didnt really have the feel of the 'personal cloud storage' i was looking for.

Can someone point me in the right direction or provide a few links that may answer what i'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance!

Matlock

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Matlock,

There was a similar question yesterday. I'm working on tutorial that is nearly ready explaining how to mount CIFS/AFP shares etc. over a secure ssh tunnel. If that's what you're interested in, I wouldn't mind sharing it with you (offline for now) in exchange for your feedback. At this point it only covers CIFS & Windows 7, but it will also cover Mac/AFP, XP, and Linux.

Middling

Dabbler
Sounds like ownCloud (or similar) is what you're looking for.

I thought there had been a Plugin request already made for it but, looking through the thread, it seems not.

Edit: It was requested here.

matlock

Contributor
testing

I've got some feedback.

First of all- very thorough walkthrough, no guess work at all.

I'm having an issue with the scheduled task i believe. When i run the sc query smb command, i get the service is in a stopped state.

I also tested and ran the netstat -an | find ":445 "
and this showed that 0.0.0.0:445

I should mention that the computer which I'm doing this on is joined to a domain, which might be the cause of some grief.

Should I try and go through the steps to remove the above, and try and re-do them? Do you need more information to help?

matlock

Contributor
netstat update

I realized that the loop back adapter was in a disabled state, a reboot- then running the netstat -an | find ":445 " command spits back some info.

I would assume this is working now- but the smb problem of the state being 'stopped' still persists.

Thanks-
Matlock

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm having an issue with the scheduled task i believe. When i run the sc query smb command, i get the service is in a stopped state.

I also tested and ran the netstat -an | find ":445 "
and this showed that 0.0.0.0:445

I should mention that the computer which I'm doing this on is joined to a domain, which might be the cause of some grief.

I'm not sure how the domain will affect things. The 0.0.0.0:445 is a deal breaker, if that doesn't show the 10.255.255.10:445 then it won't work, but since you said the loopback was offline, that could be the problem.

I need some time to look at the Task Schduler problem and see what might be causing that, it could be domain related, but I'm not sure.

matlock

Contributor
update

I'm able to now connect - even with the smb reporting it is in a stopped state. This is excellent. I'm going to start testing the transfer rates- and do a few reboots as well.

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm really glad to hear that! Of all the feedback, that is the one thing I want to hear!

I havent' been able to check anything with SMB yet because my testing machine is busy. That does bother me, can you browse files on your local network etc. ok still?

I need to put together a chart with max speeds you can expect under ideal conditions, like WiFi for example is something like 2.75MB/s *I think*.

ProtoSD

MVP
Matlock,

When you do your speed tests, can you note the Up/Down speeds and type of connection for the connection on each side?

So something like: Remote side has DSL with xx Up and xx Down, local side has Cable modem with xx Up and xx Down.
(If you have the info available)

I think it will help people have more reasonable expectations on what can be achieved.

matlock

Contributor
Just to clarify- local as in where my Freenas is located or local being the network I'm trying to "tunnel" in from?

Hm- come to think of it- browsing local network locations is fine.

ProtoSD

MVP
Local is where you are, and where you are trying to tunnel from.

I still haven't had time to look at the smb service/error, but I'd like to figure it out since I'm sure you won't be the only one.

As soon as my test system is available again (soon I hope), I'll see if I can find anything helpful.

matlock

Contributor
If I look at the loopback network adapter I created within the task managers networking tab, im noticing that the adapter is a 10 Mbps connection...

Does that seem right to you?

(Thanks for all the work you've done to get this documentation out- I... *we... really appreciate it )

matlock

Contributor
Matlock,

When you do your speed tests, can you note the Up/Down speeds and type of connection for the connection on each side?

So something like: Remote side has DSL with xx Up and xx Down, local side has Cable modem with xx Up and xx Down.
(If you have the info available)

I think it will help people have more reasonable expectations on what can be achieved.

I have freenas setup at home on a cable network (TWCNY - speedtest.net results are 20.78 Mb/s Down || 0.98 Mb/s Up

At work, where i've tunneled from back to home is on a unversities network, not 100% sure what we've got- but its fast lol
91.41 Mb/s down || 33.33 Mb/s up

Performing a connection test from work -> to my tunneled mapped network drive
(not sure of the 'best' software to test this with- but my first test results are as follows:
NAS performance tester 1.3
Running warmup...
Running a 100MB file write on drive W: twice...
Iteration 1: 1.07 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 1.06 MB/sec
------------------------------
Average (W): 1.06 MB/sec
Running a 100MB file read on drive W: twice...
Iteration 1: 0.12 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 0.12 MB/sec
Average (R): 0.12 MB/sec

Freenas test results from home (On home LAN - ethernet)
Running a 400MB file write on drive X: 3 times...
Iteration 1: 95.94 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 91.21 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 78 MB/sec
Average (W): 88.38 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on drive X: 3 times...
Iteration 1: 99.4 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 99.35 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 97.27 MB/sec
Average (R): 98.67 MB/sec

Freenas test results from laptop at home(home LAN - Wifi - N connection @ 20 MHz)
Running warmup...
Running a 100MB file write on drive Z: twice...
Iteration 1: 4.68 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 4.64 MB/sec
Average (W): 4.66 MB/sec
Running a 100MB file read on drive Z: twice...
Iteration 1: 8.34 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 7.54 MB/sec
Average (R): 7.94 MB/sec

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to test.

Thanks-
Matlock

ProtoSD

MVP
If I look at the loopback network adapter I created within the task managers networking tab, im noticing that the adapter is a 10 Mbps connection...

Does that seem right to you?

I was going to guess that it just copied whatever the physical adapter was, but I just checked mine and I have a Gig port and the loopback also shows as a 10Mps connection, so I'm not really sure.

(Thanks for all the work you've done to get this documentation out- I... *we... really appreciate it )

You're (all) welcome, it was long overdue, partially because I knew it was going to be a lot of work. I'm glad to hear it worked out ok for you!

There's still more details & videos to come...

ProtoSD

MVP
Wow, thanks for posting those speed tests! With speeds like that from work, I'd keep my NAS there! ;) But it just goes to prove that the whole thing won't go any faster than your slowest uplink speed....

After I finish with this documentation I'll have do some tests & post them.

Durkatlon

Patron
Amazing tutorial. A lot of work went into that. Although I wouldn't set this up myself I learned plenty from just reading through all the steps. I'll cowardly stick to FTP myself :D.

NiPo10000

Cadet
Here's the link to my Remote Sharing tutorial, I'm still working on it, but it should be ready if you want to do it from Windows 7. I'm working on the Windows XP part which should be ready later tonight, and then on to Mac & Linux.

http://protosd.blogspot.com/2012/03/freenas-8-remote-sharing-part-1-of-8.html

Noooooooooo... The post is GONE!!
I read the whole thread and 'Yes!! This is EXACTLY what i was looking for' ....
Is there any way to get a copy of your tutorial?

Many thanks.
NiPo.

ProtoSD

MVP
Check your PM's.

I'm looking at creating a new blog and reposting some of my stuff after the release of FreeNAS 9.1.

calgarychris

Contributor
Damn, any chance I could take a look at the tutorial as well please?!

Status
Not open for further replies.