Create volume by FreeNAS for Cluster Hyperv 2012 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafedh

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I have two servers dedicated for Cluster HyperV 2012 R2.
I have a new installation of FreeNAS 9.10 and i would like to know:
1- If i can use a volume created by FreeNAS to the Cluster HyperV as CSV? and if you have any recommandation, i will appreciate.
2- Do i have to use a disk dedicated for Log or Cash and how can i calculate the right size?

Thank you
Hafedh

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Now sure if it will help, but I was looking into having a FreeNAS Pool for HyperV VMs. From what I gathered, MS doesn't work well with NFS but should work with iSCSI.

Others may chime in with more experience on this matter though.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
You'll want to present the volume from FreeNAS as an iSCSI ZVOL to both Hyper-V hosts, and then format it as a CSV (Cluster Shared Volume). Beyond that, everything else you can basically treat the same as you would with VMware hosts.

As far as cache/log devices, by default you'll be writing asynchronous to FreeNAS, so if this is data you really care about you need an SLOG (log) device. L2ARC (cache) should usually be thought of only after you've stuffed as much RAM as is reasonably affordable and possible in your system.

What are your FreeNAS system specs?

Nick2253

Wizard
s far as cache/log devices, by default you'll be writing asynchronous to FreeNAS, so if this is data you really care about you need an SLOG (log) device.

Just to clarify, if you really care about the data, then you'll want to enable synchronous writes, which means a terrible performance hit unless you have a SLOG.

hafedh

Dabbler
Hello
Thank you very much for all your response, if i have any other question, i come back to you and i will try all these points.

Cordialement,
Guiga :)

Status
Not open for further replies.