Create Pool Failed : Resource Busy

StarTrek133

Contributor
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the help .. I am trying to setup my first TrueNas Scale box .. My goal is to create a "pool" of two 6tb WD Red hard drives .. Then copy all the data from my current Media / File Server to this new pool .. Once that is done I am hoping to add the drives from the Media / File Server to the TrueNas pool that I just created giving me more space ..

But when I try to create the pool I get the following error message ..

[EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk sdc: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/dev/sdc'

As I am a windows person I don't know enough about Linux to know how to fix this and searching the forums and google has not helped ..

So I am open to any and all advice ..

Thanks ..

Attachments

• Log.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 143

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This error exists because your Red drives already have partitions on them. This is a safety measure in case you added a drive with existing data on it. If you're sure you want to use these drives, remove any partitions on them, and any partition table as well.

StarTrek133

Contributor
Thanks Samuel for the advice ..

Are there any commands I can run ? or do I need to pull the drives out and plug them into my windows machine and wipe them .. I thought by making a pool it would just wipe and do whatever it needed to them ..

Let me know and thanks for the help .. Also will I be able to add the other 4 hard drives I have to the new pool once its made ?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you're more comfortable with Windows, I'd recommend wiping them there.

As for adding drives to the pool, it depends on what pool topology you intend.

StarTrek133

Contributor
Hi Samuel,

Ok I will pull the drives and put them into my windows machines and use the WD Tools to wipe them clean ..

I had planned on doing a total of 6 hard drives in a raid 10 array .. but I have copy all the data off the current 4 drive windows raid array to the new pool which will be the 2 drives .. Then once I have everything copied will pull the current 4 drives out and put them into the new system and I hope and pray add them to the current pool ..

Hope I am making sense ..

What steps are necessary to wipe a drive while it's in a TrueNAS Scale install. I've got an nvme drive doing the same thing. It previously was a truenas boot disk, but with my new build i moved to some smaller SSDs to reclaim the larger drive. I'd prefer not to have to take the server down to try and grab the nvme if possible.

StarTrek133

Contributor
Hey Toperdgopher

I used the "Data Life for Windows" to do a full erase of the drives and that fixed my issue .. granted they were 6TB drives and it took 12 hours per drive .. But all is good now ..

Hope that helps ..

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I had planned on doing a total of 6 hard drives in a raid 10 array
Do you mean a pool underpinned by 3 mirror (2-way) vdevs? There is no RAID-10 in ZFS ...