Crashplan Real-Time Scanning versus File Verification Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadz

Dabbler
I've been using CrashPlan on FreeNAS for a while now, and other than the periodic automatic upgrade that needs to be manually fixed, the solution has worked well for me.

Lately I've noticed that I will upload some new family photos, and they won't be backed up until my scheduled File Verification Scan, which runs at I believe the default time, 3AM each day.

Should the CrashPlan instance on my FreeNAS installation be able to use the real-time file scanning?

After reading my own linked articles I found this:
CrashPlan requires the kernel extension called inotify to run when files are added, removed, or changed. Verify that inotify is installed and running so CrashPlan can watch files in real time.

Which I suspect is the problem.

So everyone using CrashPlan is just relying on the scheduled manual full scans? I think I'm going to adjust my scan interval to be more than daily then....

fracai

Guru
FreeBSD doesn't support inotify, so real time backup isn't available. kqueue is the FreeBSD alternative, but this would require changes by the Crashplan developers.

Increasing the scan frequency is an option, but you'll also be increasing the wear on your disks. It's a tradeoff that you should be aware off.

Pasquale61

Explorer
I've been using CrashPlan on FreeNAS for a while now, and other than the periodic automatic upgrade that needs to be manually fixed, the solution has worked well for me.

Lately I've noticed that I will upload some new family photos, and they won't be backed up until my scheduled File Verification Scan, which runs at I believe the default time, 3AM each day.

Should the CrashPlan instance on my FreeNAS installation be able to use the real-time file scanning?

After reading my own linked articles I found this:

Which I suspect is the problem.

So everyone using CrashPlan is just relying on the scheduled manual full scans? I think I'm going to adjust my scan interval to be more than daily then....

That's kind of a bummer as I'm just about to build my FreeNAS system. I've been a long time CrashPlan subscriber/user and one of the best features for me is versioning, and this obviously affects that. I'll just have to try and work around this, possibly using different backup sets with different schedules and retention policies for folders that I know change often.

Thanks for pointing this out!

fracai

Guru
I propose iX Systems create a ZFS-focused backup host that includes ZFS Replication and SSH access, while including the same pricing plans that Crashplan provides. I fear my dream will remain a dream. Though Rsync.net comes as close as you can get, except for the pricing.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I propose iX Systems create a ZFS-focused backup host that includes ZFS Replication and SSH access, while including the same pricing plans that Crashplan provides. I fear my dream will remain a dream. Though Rsync.net comes as close as you can get, except for the pricing.

Actually, that thought has been considered. But yeah, the dream is likely to remain a dream.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

While cool, it would require some major (multi-million) investment for it to be a service viable in the long run. Few companies can afford to embark on such projects where ROI is many years away - most try to capitalize on the synergies afforded by having a cloud solution in addition to their regular stuff.

Of course, outsourcing the backup ZFS pool would be quite a bit more palatable than a second FreeNAS server, kinda like Office 365 ends up being cheaper than traditional licenses, if you update to the new versions anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.