Crashplan tips - ui.conf location changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelas

Explorer
Just a couple of tips that would have saved me about 3-4 hours and some hair doing a fresh install of 3.6.3_1:
  1. The Crashplan GUI seems have started ignoring the copy of ui.properties that is in:
    Code:
    \Program Files\Crashplan\conf

The correct location now seems to be:
    Code:
    \users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\CrashPlan\conf 

You have to manually add the line:
    Code:
    servicePort=4200

... anywhere to the file for this change to take effect.
    This has the additional nice benefit that you avoid the hassle of Windows Security getting in the way trying to edit this file in \Program Files - there are no such hassles when editing files in AppData.
  2. The log file for troubleshooting GUI<--> backend connectivity is in:
    Code:
    \Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\CrashPlan\log\ui.log 

Here you can tell what port the durn thing is trying to connect to. The file grows very rapidly, but it is safe to delete it as needed to make it easier to see what's going on between changes. The file ui.log.properties in Program Files\Conf is the configuration file for logging, not the log file itself. I see people posting that thing all the time as their log file! :smile: Don't do that, please.
  3. I've seen references and recommendations stating that tunneling port 4200 to 4243 on the main freenas IP works for some people. That did not work for me. I got it to connect by connecting via PuTTY to the Jail IP directly. It is not necessary to log in as root if the login (I use "crashplan") has "wheel" group membership in the jail. By the way, under PuTTY in Windows, you want to port to be tunneled from 4200 to localhost:4243, and not to <jail IP>:4243 (like you would under Linux).
    However, it is far easier to just add the lines:
    Code:
    serviceHost=<jail IP>
    servicePort=4243

...to ui.properties and not have to mess with PuTTY every time you want to launch the GUI.
The above is based on me installing on FreeNas 9.2.1.6 (yes, not the latest, but I want to back it up before updating again, hence this post), and accessing it via the GUI from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.