CrashPlan 4.8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew076

Patron
Double whammy, FreeNAS upgrade and CrashPlan upgrade. Happy to report for those using Crashplan that the following steps worked for me to upgrade to 4.8.3. (note I have not bothered to upgrade the windows GUI from 4.8.2. yet)

$ cd /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan
$ wget --no-check-certificate https://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.8.3_Linux.tgz
$ tar -xf CrashPlan_4.8.3_Linux.tgz
$ cd crashplan-install
$ cpio -idv < CrashPlan_4.8.3.cpi
$ service crashplan stop
$ cd ..
$ rm -r lib*
$ cp -r crashplan-install/lib* .
$ service crashplan start
$ exit

Happy archiving...

scrappy

Patron
Good to know. I have been using Crashplan in a VM instead of a Jail as the Jailed version of Crashplan 4.8.2 was essentially broke when I got it up and running a couple weeks ago.

adrianwi

Guru
Moving CrashPlan into a CentOS VM was one of my better FreeNAS decision, as none of the automatic upgraded since about 4.6 has broken anything, unlike all the previous ones when trying to run in a jail.

katit

Contributor
How do you run CentOS VM? I'd like to do it as well, but it seems like VirtualBox is broken now?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How do you run CentOS VM? I'd like to do it as well, but it seems like VirtualBox is broken now?
You click the button that create a vm? What do you mean how do you run a centos vm?

katit

Contributor
I get errors when try to create VM in virtualbox plugin. Looks like VirtualBox is broken in newest FreeNAS? I can't find that topic, but previous update to FreeNAS made VirtualBox inoperable?

P.S. Of course, ideally I'd like to run CrashPlan in my own jail (without plugin) but again, can't figure out how to create Linux 64 bit jail

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I get errors when try to create VM in virtualbox plugin. Looks like VirtualBox is broken in newest FreeNAS? I can't find that topic, but previous update to FreeNAS made VirtualBox inoperable?

P.S. Of course, ideally I'd like to run CrashPlan in my own jail (without plugin) but again, can't figure out how to create Linux 64 bit jail
Update to freenas 11 and create a vm. Ideally the best solution is to is a separate host for crashplan but that's not always an option.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

katit

Contributor
Update to freenas 11 and create a vm.
I will have to research this option

Ideally the best solution is to is a separate host for crashplan but that's not always an option.
What do you mean by this? Run crashplan on separate hardware? If so, I'm not sure why is this ideal? In my case it's just a last level of backup, to sync my NAS to cloud. I think it should be on a same machine..

adrianwi

Guru
I'm still running 9.10.1-U4, which I believe is the last version that VirtualBox worked. It should be possible in 11.0 using Bhyve, but I'm not there yet so haven't tried.

katit

Contributor

katit

Contributor
Ok, to who reads this post. Little details on what I did. I installed CentOS minimal ISO and this is approx. steps I took:

1. Install CentOS in VM
2. Enabled SSH, connected.
3. Installed CrashPlan as per instructions: https://lonesysadmin.net/2015/01/25/install-crashplan-linux/
Main idea that I run Crashplan complet, not headless. There was couple of issues or things I did differently:
-Installation of Crashplan itself was done per CP instuctions from their website.
-For X11 to work, in addition to stuff listed in link above I had to
Code:
yum install gtk2
, otherwise UI won't start.

So, now I got ~10Gb instance of CentOS with complete install of Crashplan, no need for "headless" tricks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Looks like VirtualBox is broken in newest FreeNAS?
To directly answer this, iX broke VirtualBox in 9.10.2, and won't be fixing it. Starting in 11, there's GUI support for bhyve VMs, which are what's recommended going forward if you want to run VMs on your FreeNAS server.

heatvent

Cadet
Double whammy, FreeNAS upgrade and CrashPlan upgrade. Happy to report for those using Crashplan that the following steps worked for me to upgrade to 4.8.3. (note I have not bothered to upgrade the windows GUI from 4.8.2. yet)

$ cd /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan
$ wget --no-check-certificate https://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.8.3_Linux.tgz
$ tar -xf CrashPlan_4.8.3_Linux.tgz
$ cd crashplan-install
$ cpio -idv < CrashPlan_4.8.3.cpi
$ service crashplan stop
$ cd ..
$ rm -r lib*
$ cp -r crashplan-install/lib* .
$ service crashplan start
$ exit

Happy archiving...

Hi, has anyone really gotten this working in FreeNAS 11? I can install the crashplan plugin, assign storage, accept the EULA and it starts up but is 3.6.3. If I then go through the steps above and upgrade to 4.8.3, the plugin/crashplan service will not start. Are there pre-requisites, other steps, etc. And for the love of mankind can someone please update the plugin to a recent version so the masses don't need to go through this mess to get this thing running.

Thanks!

Andrew076

Patron
Hi, has anyone really gotten this working in FreeNAS 11? I can install the crashplan plugin, assign storage, accept the EULA and it starts up but is 3.6.3. If I then go through the steps above and upgrade to 4.8.3, the plugin/crashplan service will not start. Are there pre-requisites, other steps, etc. And for the love of mankind can someone please update the plugin to a recent version so the masses don't need to go through this mess to get this thing running.

Thanks!

It works for me. If this is a new install for you have you done the following:

pkg install pkg
pkg install bash
ln -siv /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash

Andrew076

Patron

Thanks!
Also, check out this website.

There are several steps you need to do to get Java working.

https://nefaria.com/2016/05/configuring-crashplan-pro-or-home-on-freenas-9-10/

heatvent

Cadet
Thanks guys, I will have a look. This is exactly my frustration, there must be a 100 posts with how to get this plugin running instructions and all of them different. BTW when I tried the "pkg install pkg" command above, I got an "Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database" error that led me to the following site for a fix (although it doesn't seem to be working at the moment). This experience has been one big rabbithole that I have yet to find my way out of :confused:.

LGSONE
04/19 #4

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/14211

Finally: 1. after creating the jail, use the freenas UI to open an SSH session into the JAIL 2. vi /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf 3. then edit the file TO

FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest", mirror_type: "srv", enabled: yes }

4. pkg update 5. pkg upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.