SOLVED Convert to CrashPlanPRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew076

Patron
I am not a "Power User" by any stretch of the imagination and I have been waiting and asking people what happens when they convert but didn't get the answers I was hoping for so after a full back up I decided to jump in.

Disclosure - I don't run Crash Plan in a Virtual Machine, mainly because all the instructions on how to do it seem to start from scratch and don't include a scenario where I am at, i.e. adding a virtual machine after you have data etc. and I do not want to risk losing data! (I know it wouldn't be an issue if done correctly... but I don't plan on going there till this method doesn't work - and it worked...).

According to Crash Plan I have 3.5 TB of data (according to the GUI it is 4TB - rounding I guess) in any event less than the 5 TB cap.

First Question - Does the Old Crashplan work after the conversion
Answer - Yes, at least initially (I didn't wait days to see what would happen). I did the conversion on the web, then I went back in and use the old GUI version 4.8 and told it to do a backup Now. It connected to CrashPlan and uploaded 2 files that I had changed for this test (See very bottom of this post for verification)

Second Question - What happens when you upgrade the software for the GUI. To do this I went and clicked on App Downloads and selected the Windows (64 bit) program.
Answer - At least for version 4.9 connecting to FreeNAS 4.8.3 it connects without issue.
App Download.JPG

I installed it selecting all the defaults, except when it asked who to make it available for, just Andrew or all users, for this I selected "All Users"
Completed the install and loaded the new GUI (which was now Blue not Green) and it connected to Crashplan on the FreeNAS.

Final Question - If the install on the FreeNAS server worked the same way I was used to doing, i.e. through the shell and manually downloading the program etc.?
Answer - Yes.

To do this I got the address for the Linux file from the App Downloads page and did the following:
$ cd /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan
$ wget --no-check-certificate https://web-lbm-msp.crashplanpro.com/client/installers/CrashPlanPRO_4.9.0_1436674888490_33_Linux.tgz
$ tar -xf CrashPlanPRO_4.9.0_1436674888490_33_Linux.tgz
$ cd crashplan-install
$ cpio -idv < CrashPlanPRO_4.9.0.cpi
$ service crashplan stop
$ cd ..
$ rm -r lib*
$ cp -r crashplan-install/lib* .
$ service crashplan start
$ exit

Verification
I went back in to the GUI, which connected to the FreeNAS system (success there) and then clicked on the history tab:
As you can see CrashPlanPro is now active (based on version number - I was running 4.8.3 before this update).

Success.JPG

Hope this helps anyone else who is worried about the conversion... :)

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
i.e. adding a virtual machine after you have data etc. and I do not want to risk losing data!
This really isn't hard at all. Mount the appropriate data directories to the VM in whatever way works for you (i.e., NFS or SMB shares), install Crashplan on the VM, and tell it to "adopt" an existing backup. But glad your method worked too.

Andrew076

Patron
This really isn't hard at all. Mount the appropriate data directories to the VM in whatever way works for you (i.e., NFS or SMB shares), install Crashplan on the VM, and tell it to "adopt" an existing backup. But glad your method worked too.
That is what people keep saying (and I believe them) my fear is that something will misfire and it would be an expensive mistake... and right now this is working perfectly. At some point I am going to try to setup the virtual machine but don't have the time yet to do that...

Andrew076

Patron

Okay, I am ready to do the VM Machine, and followed https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rashplan-6-6-w-o-losing-your-jail-backups.78/. The issue I am having is that I have NFS Shares where all my data is (Window's user) and the steps above didn't work to allow me to view the data, just the folders. Not sure what the next step is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.