SOLVED CrashPlan 3.6.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Klox

Dabbler
The files posted in 4274 are working great for me (new 3.6.3 test pbi). I merged them and attached it here. Not my work so go thank Sean.

edit: Can't seem to upload it to the forums. You'll have to go make the merge yourself.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, if people slow down and relax Sean is going to update it with a new PBI so you won't have to go backdoor-ing this to get it to work. You'll simply upgrade and voila.. it'll start working again. At the rate Sean has been handling things, I wouldn't be surprised if the PBI is updated within 24 hours.

mstinaff

Dabbler
You guys realize there's a ticket in on crashplan?

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4274

Someone was even kind enough to put in a duplicate ticket! https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4392

Might want to watch 4274 and see how things work out...

<facepalm/>

Thanks! I keep thinking of the ticket system as just for the FreeNAS core and not the plugins.

The official update is live and I tried to update with the plugin menu. Didn't work for me but that could have been for many reasons. Was simpler for me to nuke the old plugin, install a new copy and then adopt the old backup. Everything is working great.

David E

Contributor
Is anyone else seeing tons of "- Reason for stopping backup: The backup destination was disconnected" in their logs? I haven't been able to do a full backup in over a week because of these. My UI says I am using Version 3.6.3 (1388556100363). I get stupid slow speeds to crashplan (<1Mbps), despite having a 10Mbps (upstream) business connection, and scheduling them for the middle of the night.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Has anyone ran into any drawback when running the plugin vs creating your own jail?

I run my own jail with Plex installed because it works better and updates are easier. I have looked into getting crash plan running in the same manner but it's going to require more work. Because of this I'm thinking of using the plugin. In concerned with update speed, client side app comparability and maintainability. Does anyone have opinions or experience about this?

fracai

Guru
I started off with my own plugin and ran into several issues.

First, I had to re-enter all my info everytime I restarted the app; it was unable to write out the configuration file. By playing around with some of the start-up options I as able to get the config written out, but then it couldn't connect to the Crashplan servers. I swear at one point I got everything working, but for some reason I don't have the configuration documented; I probably never actually got it perfect. I was going to try installing it in a Linux jail, but I couldn't get the jail itself to function correctly (packages couldn't be installed, permissions seemed to be incorrect).

Later, I tried just installing the plugin. Everything is almost perfect. The one issue you'll run into is when Crashplan wants to update. When 3.6.3 came along the plugin broke (I'm not sure if there's a way to keep Crashplan from updating itself). Also, there was one time when it looked like there were many zombie processes that CP had spun off. I restarted the service and things dropped back to normal. I haven't paid too close of attention to this, but it hasn't seemed to be a major issue.

You will experience a few other issues, but I consider them minor. The plugin can't track files in realtime so you'll only get backups when CP is set to verify the backup. I have this occurring every night. I'm tracking around 300 GB and my drives and CPU are busy for maybe 30 minutes. I have the stats, but I can't check right now.

Comet Jo

Dabbler
I think I have a solution, can someone else confirm?

Very nice! Worked for me. Not sure what happened - one day Crashplan plugin jail was working fine, next day, it was broken. Your fix got me backing up again. Thanks!

salesguy

Cadet
This fix worked for me as well. Crashplan plugin worked fine up until a few days ago, then wouldn't start. Initially tried upping the memory setting to no avail, then found this fix. Fixed it right up, but as others have said editing the file via freenas and not inside the jail was important. Back up and running, thanks guys.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This thread is about upgrading to 3.6.3. If we're not staying on track with that discussion which is many months old then I kindly ask you to find one of the other recent Crashplan threads that are appropriate to discuss your topic.

Thanks.

RoboKaren

Contributor
Thanks, just want to confirm that editing

/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf

is what I need to get this working under 9.3beta as well.

Halfe

Explorer
Is there a way to avoid update from 3.6.3?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Is there a way to avoid update from 3.6.3?
You can't and don't really want to avoid the updates. The updates are pushed out by crashplan and could possibly have comparability issues with older releases.

Halfe

Explorer
Then i need help to get the engine running. I have 1TB of backup that i dont have access to because of the update. I have another backup solution running but i need the files on CP back. and i dont live in US

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you try and just let if run for a couple hours. It takes some time to update through all the versions. There is a great post on the forum for how to do this every step of the way. Including adding the java arguments and configuring the uuid. I can't find the post right now because I'm on my phone but if you search and read you will find it.

Zaq

Cadet
Starting from scratch, I have installed the CrashPlan plugin on FreeNAS, which is version 3.6.3. I've also installed the CrashPlan application on Windows. The CrashPlan GUI version is 4.4.1..

I've seen lots of posts around getting the service to update once a client is connected, and in all of those post, the client is older (earlier version) than the currently available 4.4.1 client. I'm willing to babysit the server as it goes through its upgrades, but to do that, I need a 4.3 or older client. Can anyone help me find that client? Or is there another way?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.