BUILD could this build work for my needs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hks777

Cadet
Hello
I am very new to this server world, so I am sorry for any stupid questions.
rolleyes.gif

I have decided that I want a server / nas.
my needs is:

Daily backup, of documents and pictures, from three windows computers.
Couchpotato and transmission
A linux webserver, for testing and learning magento and similar systems (not going public)
Sharing pictures, to ipad, computer and a media box like a wd tv wifi player.
Sharing music, (flac and mp3) to ipad, computer and a media box like a wd tv wifi player.
Steaming/encoding 1080p vids, to ipad, computer and a media box like a wd tv wifi player. (max two devices at a time.)
Watch documents on computers, ipad and smartphone (android and windows phone). Remotely is a big bonus.
linux wm's for learning linux

is this build powerful enough for my needs ?
X10SLL+-F
E3-1220 v3
16 gb ecc ram
Corsair CS Series CS450M
Fractal Design Define R4
not sure about what hard drive configuration yet, (max 8 tb) wd reds

Dice

Wizard
Hello,
There is a looott of horsepower in that cpu. The key deciding factor as far as I've come to understand is the number of plex streams you want running at the same time. If that is 1 or occasionally 2, you could probably downsize cpu power. That said - if this is within your budget - go with it.

Ram - fine.
PSU - Looked into this one my self. Seems okay.
Storage configuration - This one is more tricky. I suggest you take a look and a close thought on what your expansion strategy will be. Planning ahead of time is key to freenas and ZFS..

Cheers /

Last edited:

hks777

Cadet
Hello,
There is a looott of horsepower in that cpu. The key deciding factor as far as I've come to understand is the number of plex streams you want running at the same time. If that is 1 or occasionally 2, you could probably downsize cpu power. That said - if this is within your budget - go with it.

Ram - fine.
PSU - Looked into this one my self. Seems okay.
Storage configuration - This one is more tricky. I suggest you take a look and a close thought on what your expansion strategy will be. Planning ahead of time is key to freenas and ZFS..
From a fellow newbie-an (perhaps with slightly more research under my belt) here are some thoughts in my first post under 'Storage' https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...g-from-windows-strategies-and-hardware.40382/

Cheers / Dice

Thank you for your answer :smile:

what cpu would you recommend for one plex stream, and wms?

i will take a look at the link

Dice

Wizard
I have no real experience by myself, I'm just looking around at what others are arguing/doing.
Have a read at this thread, CPU-section.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

Once u've gotten that Xeon v1231, you are not likely to justify a cpu upgrade later on. U've already spent that money.
From what I can estimate your vm's/jails does not seem very cpu intensive, where I'd believe <any> compatible cpu would do the trick.
You can do some comparing on your own - google "E3-1220v3 benchmark" and compare to other cpu's that are on the recomendations posted by cyberjock.
I'd say that if you're looking to put a lot of effort into many vm's/jails you are going to benefit from having additional cores (as the E3-1220v3 4core + HT) compared to lower budget 2 core cpu's.

Cheers /

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Definitely not the low-power version.

I recommend a 43xx of your liking, non-T.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.