Hello - Newbie here, with a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrampus

Cadet
Hello All.

This is a project that has gotten my interest, as you can never have enough storage!

My home setup is compromised of a Macbook Pro / Macbook / iMac. I have 2x networked printers on this setup, and the laptops are running off WiFi, and everything else is hard wired into my router.

Recently, I purchased a WD TV Live, for putting most of my media libary onto, as my 1TB drive in my MBP's data doubler was nearly full, and to get some use out of my LCD TV!

I have been looking around, and doing some research on various setups.

Basically, the long and short of it all, I wish to do the following:

1. Have time machine backups for all my mac's - (this seems easy enough to configure)
2. Have my iTunes libary on the NAS, and replace my WD TV Live with an Apple TV 2 (and have the NAS stream directly to the ATV). (Answers in the forum seem to point that I cannot do this?)
3. Have all my documents etc on the server, so I can remotely access them from my iPad/iPhone/Remote Laptop.

Also, my research on this has come up null - is there a Windows Emulator for FreeNAS? I'd love to have a full blown copy of MS office and IE for remote access on my iPad - which would mean I would have to carry around my laptop as much.

It seems that I can do most of this with a Linux distro of some kind - such as Ubuntu Server. Would It be possible with FreeNAS?

Could anyone make any reccomentations for VPN software for iOS and OSX ?

I appreciate any assistance in helping me with any of these matters.

Regards, AT.

ProtoSD

MVP
This is the second post I've had to move today that was posted in the introductions.

An introduction is MORE than "Hi, I have a question"...

louisk

Patron
Hello All.

This is a project that has gotten my interest, as you can never have enough storage!

My home setup is compromised of a Macbook Pro / Macbook / iMac. I have 2x networked printers on this setup, and the laptops are running off WiFi, and everything else is hard wired into my router.

Recently, I purchased a WD TV Live, for putting most of my media libary onto, as my 1TB drive in my MBP's data doubler was nearly full, and to get some use out of my LCD TV!

I have been looking around, and doing some research on various setups.

Basically, the long and short of it all, I wish to do the following:

1. Have time machine backups for all my mac's - (this seems easy enough to configure)
2. Have my iTunes libary on the NAS, and replace my WD TV Live with an Apple TV 2 (and have the NAS stream directly to the ATV). (Answers in the forum seem to point that I cannot do this?)
3. Have all my documents etc on the server, so I can remotely access them from my iPad/iPhone/Remote Laptop.

Also, my research on this has come up null - is there a Windows Emulator for FreeNAS? I'd love to have a full blown copy of MS office and IE for remote access on my iPad - which would mean I would have to carry around my laptop as much.

It seems that I can do most of this with a Linux distro of some kind - such as Ubuntu Server. Would It be possible with FreeNAS?

Could anyone make any reccomentations for VPN software for iOS and OSX ?

I appreciate any assistance in helping me with any of these matters.

Regards, AT.

1) if you want web based office, check out google docs or ms office live.
2) if you want to remotely access your freenas, you should put a firewall+vpn in front of it. personally i use pfsense, but that is off topic for this forum.
3) if the ATV will stream off an AFP or CIFS share, there shouldn't be a problem. If it requires a DAAP server, you can try the multimedia freenas, I believe it has this support.

Status
Not open for further replies.