FreeNAS MythTV Zoneminder questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbeginner

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I began my research on building a NAS last winter, and that is still the plan. But based on current circumstances it looks like I won't start to build a NAS for another year. With that said, I'm trying to wrap my mind around how I should properly set things up in my home if I'll need multiple machines, or if some things can or should run on the NAS.

This is what I'd like to ultimately have up and running at my home. Of note, I'm planning to have structured wiring in the home so all data/TV service lines from outside will run into a media closet and will have three dedicated power outlets in the closet.

1) NAS (FreeNAS) - store home videos, backup movies, etc. Emby Media Server
2) MythTV DVR system - to watch over the air local stations (ABC, NBC, Fox, The CW, etc) and record shows, etc. (possibly store on NAS later option later). Use some type of TV tuners in box, or HDHomeRun..?
3) NVR/DVR for video management system (VMS) - Zoneminder (zmNinja for mobile access?)

With that said, is it best to have three separate boxes: NAS, MythTV NVR, Zoneminder NVR?

My plan is to have an htpc (kodi frontend with Emby plugin, MythTV plugin, etc) in living room, bedroom, and game room to start so all three could be up and running and have access to live/recorded TV, or streaming movies from the NAS, and if need be, able to access the Zoneminder NVR to view cameras around the house. Also, I'd like to have SSL installed on all boxes (or box if that is the preferable way) in case I wish to access these systems remotely when outside of the home network.

What would be the recommendation for a build or multiple builds for a NAS, MythTV, and Zoneminder?

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
I think a good way of thinking of it is you *can* put them all on the one box if you want.

This might help justify building a beast of a rig ;)

NASbeginner

Dabbler
Hi Stux,

Thank you for the reply. So I see you said "can". I take it that means I should really have a separate DVR/NVR from the NAS and use video surveillance style hard drives, such as WD Purple drives for example?

Stux

MVP
Hi Stux,

Thank you for the reply. So I see you said "can". I take it that means I should really have a separate DVR/NVR from the NAS and use video surveillance style hard drives, such as WD Purple drives for example?

The key is actually if you *want*

Do you want to?

I probably would.

NASbeginner

Dabbler
The key is actually if you *want*

Do you want to?

I probably would.

When you say you probably would, is that referring to a separate DVR/NVR correct? I was originally thinking if I had a separate MythTV DVR then I could transfer certain files from the DVR/NVR (MythTV) to the NAS if I want to keep certain files longer-term.

But then there is Zoneminder for when I get a video surveillance system up and running.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
You can do that, but you can also build a single box to do it all

I have no experience with zone minder

fta

Contributor
I prefer to keep NAS/SAN duties in one box, and everything else in a second box running a hypervisor. That way I can install VMs to my hearts content, and it never affects my NAS (other than disk space, of course).

NASbeginner

Dabbler
Hi, thank you so much for the comments.

fta - if I understand correctly, you would have a NAS for long-term storage of movies, etc. and then a separate box for NVR/DVR duties for MythTV and Zoneminder, etc.? Each on their own VM?

Thanks so much!

fta

Contributor
Yes. I currently have several VMs, one of which is MythTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.