noob questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brish

Cadet
Hi all,

I have a computer at home doing pretty much nothing so I decided to make it as Home NAS.

Its specs are...

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2210 @ 2.20GHz
RAM: 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800
HDD: WD 2TB Green (ED20EARS)

Basic function of this NAS will be the storing Musics, Movies, and some files. Multiple devices such as desktop, tablet, smart phone, etc would need to access the NAS either to play multimedia files or to edit and store files and photos.

Would 2GB of RAM is too small? Even for maximum of 2~3 concurrent users?

Thanks in advance.

ewhac

Contributor
Would 2GB of RAM is too small? Even for maximum of 2~3 concurrent users?
Far too small. FreeNAS requires an absolute minimum of 8GiB of ECC RAM.

WD "Green" drives are generally frowned upon for use in a NAS.

Even with 8GiB, the config you've outlined above would be okay for tinkering around, but if you want actual, reliable file storage, you'll need to support that with appropriate hardware. The FreeNAS docs outline the basic HW requirements but, because everyone's needs are different, there is no "canned" solution.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Minimum ram requirements are 8GB, your hardware doesn't even come close to meeting the bar. Please read the hardware stickies and system requirements.

danb35

Hall of Famer
WD "Green" drives are generally frowned upon for use in a NAS.
Agree with the rest of your post, but plenty of folks (including @cyberjock, IIRC) are using WD Green drives without issues, once they've used WDIDLE3.EXE to set the park timeout to something reasonable.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'd say about half of the 2010-era 2TB WD greens we've deployed have died. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.