MythTv backend plugin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tophee

Explorer
Hi all,

Happy New Year to everyone.

I know I'm not the first person to moot this idea, but I want to try and get the latest mythtv backend working in a jail and recording to its own zfs volume on my freenas box. I currently run a mythtv box (of the LinHES variety) which is now including the latest MythTv 0.27 release. I see there is a .27 version available at freshports.

I am wondering how easy this is to set it up? On the freshports page they state:
Problems have been reported with this port; if you use it, you should join the FreeBSD-multimedia mailing list and report where appropriate.
This does not fill me with a great deal of optimism and my wife's tolerance for my 'projects' is fairly low currently. Anyone have any experience with this plugin (or earlier versions) on getting it to work in Freenas?

Any thoughts, advice, prophecies of doom etc, gratefully received.

Chris

antsrealm

Explorer
I would also like to see mythTV backend running on my FreeNas box. My mate is able to run it on his synology and now I'm reading up on ubuntu and ZFS and thinking about ditching FreeNas so I can get this to work :(

D

dlavigne

Problems have been reported with this port; if you use it, you should join the FreeBSD-multimedia mailing list and report where appropriate.

Note that that warning is for the cxm driver, not for MythTV itself. And I believe that the warning is outdated as webcamd should provide all of the drivers that V4L provides.

MythTV runs just fine on PC-BSD and is even included in the PC-BSD Handbook. However, I have not tried running it in a jail and have no idea if webcamd will work in a jail.

tophee

Explorer
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I will have a go over the next week when I've some time. Will report back.

Chris

mysticpete

Contributor
Mythtv Backend runs in a jail fine on FreeNas, to make it easy install mysql in the same jail. add Xming and PuTTY on your lap/desktop to enable X11 Forwarding from the NAS server for configuration.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Mythtv runs in a jail fine on FreeNas, to make it easy install mysql in the same jail. add Xming and PuTTY on your lap/desktop to enable X11 Forwarding from the NAS server for configuration.

I bet if you created a guide many people would hail you as their hero.

mysticpete

Contributor
I bet if you created a guide many people would hail you as their hero.
Was thinking of this as there seems no definitive instruction to installing and running a Mythtv Backend on FreeNas, will look at this soon.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There definitely isn't. Plenty of people have asked for it though. So a dummy's guide to setup and installation might get you some serious kudos around here.

mysticpete

Contributor

cyberjock

Inactive Account

mysticpete

Contributor
I'd definitely put a copy of your blog in our guides section.

Edit: I just took a look at your instructions. pkg_add will be deprecated and this guide will be broken in less than 6 months. :( The better alternative is to use pkg-ng.

Yes I saw the Warnings :) will change those references for you.

mysticpete

Contributor
Apparently I have breached the board rules, but without the ability to respond by email to the admin I cannot find out what post does this!

mysticpete

Contributor
I'd definitely put a copy of your blog in our guides section.

Edit: I just took a look at your instructions. pkg_add will be deprecated and this guide will be broken in less than 6 months. :( The better alternative is to use pkg-ng.

Cyberjock

Did you add Zufallsheld's excellent tutorial to the How-To also from here? http://zufallsheld.de/2013/11/22/freenas-transmission-couchpotato-sickbeard-dlna-server/

You made comments on it in this post from him.

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...ssion-and-couchpotato-as-a-dlna-server.17165/

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't add stuff.. I was leaving that to you since you were the one that posted the guide..

What post broke the forum rules? I'm not aware of you breaking any forum rules... I'm also not the person everyone reports to, so someone else might have without me knowing it.. I'll PM you though.. you can PM me by creating a new conversation and typing in my name. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.