Core Jail to Scale Virtual Machine

gwaitsi

Patron
So i created a feature request ticket to make a weewx app for scale. Sadly they closed the ticket without ever having done that.

I still have the iocage jail for weewx i created on core.
Is it possible to convert it, to an iocage to a virtual debian machine?

actually i found a docker image "docker pull jgoerzen/weewx:latest" which appears to load.

But I am not sure how to enter the suggested startup code below
docker run -td \ --stop-signal=SIGRTMIN+3 \ --tmpfs /run:size=100M --tmpfs /run/lock:size=100M \ -v /sys/fs/cgroup:/sys/fs/cgroup:ro \ --hostname=weewx \ -v /weatherdir:/var/lib/weewx:rw \ --name=weewx jgoerzen/weewx

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need a virtual machine first. I prefer Ubuntu if I have to run Linux. In that VM you install docker and enter the command you posted.

Or you try to run it as a SCALE "app". There is some generic docker-compose thingy in the TrueCharts catalog. If you need docker-compose syntax instead of what you posted, there's a web tool for that:

Or install FreeBSD in a VM, install iocage, copy your entire jail.

gwaitsi

Patron
I
You need a virtual machine first. I prefer Ubuntu if I have to run Linux. In that VM you install docker and enter the command you posted.

Or you try to run it as a SCALE "app". There is some generic docker-compose thingy in the TrueCharts catalog. If you need docker-compose syntax instead of what you posted, there's a web tool for that:

Hi Patrick, I have a docker image installed

Application Name:weewxPod Name:weewx-ix-chart-679d96b69b-7x5h8Container Name:ix-chart
but the shell gives the error "error: unable to upgrade connection: container not found ("ix-chart")"

Can I note edit the configs of the docker image?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No idea, sorry. Someone who knows docker and SCALE better than I do needs to step in.

Just as Patrick suggested. You should utilize the Truecarts docker compose app. Running docker images on bare debian will soon be patched out of TrueNAS, so your ported app wouldn't last long.

There is also a hacky way of running a systemd-nspawn Debian "jail" similiar to CORE. But it's very beta and unsupported by iX. I use it to run my docker stuff and it's been fine so far. It requires a little bit of tuning but the doc and manpage is sufficient.
Check it out here: https://github.com/Jip-Hop/jailmaker

JoeAtWork

Contributor

I love jails, they were so easy to start and had full access to the zfs for a jail that needed an entire dataset. I wish docker could mount a dataset as part of the file system.