Cooking/Baking!

somethingweird

Contributor
I can't cook/bake but when I do - I like to do a cheesecake cupcakes - this https://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/181/Cheesecake-Cupcakes helps a lot - not hard. The website hasn't been updated/active in a LONG time .. - Anyone got recipes that are easy to follow?

I done pizza, but I bought the dough from a local pizza place and just added tomato sauce and cheese and then baked.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I've made this one personally, but only in the full-size one.

Cheesecake cupcakes, try the cheater-version where you use a sandwich cookie as a base:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You didn't state what kind of recipes that you are interested in so I've included a couple different ones.

This is one I make frequently that is simple and quick meal.

If you like chocolate brownies I have yet to find a recipe better than this

Best Brownies

• 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 4 eggs, room temp
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 12 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 baking pan. Line with parchment paper (optional). *I don’t use parchment paper because I found that it made more of a mess when I did. Instead I just cut them right in the pan and use a metal spatula to get them out.
  2. Using an electric mixer, combine melted butter, oil, and sugars until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix for about one minute.
  3. Add flour, cocoa powder, and salt to wet mixture. Hand mix until just combined. Do not over over mix.
  4. Fold in 1/2 of the bag of chocolate chips. Pour batter into baking pan. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes to start, then do a test with a toothpick in five-minute increments after. I think total bake time is usually about 30 minutes for me, but will likely be different with a different oven. The key here is not overbaking because you want them to be fudgy, so you don’t want to wait until the toothpick comes out completely clean. Instead I pay attention to how the texture changes and pull them out when they transition to being less runny and more cake-like.

I'm not much of a baker but I am working on perfecting my pizza dough for my rocket stove pizza oven I'm going to build this winter. I love pizza and would actually love to open a pizza place if I can get my pies where I want them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Anyone got recipes that are easy to follow?
Just made this one last weekend:

AGED EGGNOG​

• 12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
  • 1 pound sugar
  • 1 pint half-n-half
  • 1 pint whole milk
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • 1 cup Jamaican rum
  • 1 cup cognac
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  1. Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.
  2. Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid “ribbon.”
  3. Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
  4. Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there’s nothing that says you couldn’t age it a year, but I’ve just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)
  5. Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.
Source:

Edit: Well, I guess strictly speaking this isn't cooking, as there's no application of heat to the food. But it's still darned tasty.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The cupcakes I made today were pretty good, yellow cake and fudge frosting, not my best because the cake wasn't as moist as it normally is (I blame it on the small eggs I used), but still satisfying. I cheated, used a boxed cake mix and premade frosting. At least I didn't buy them already made :smile:

I use to make Lasagna from scratch (except the noodles) and build it in deep a turkey pan. In my early 20's it was a huge hit and whenever I threw a get together, which was almost every weekend, my guests started expecting it. It was very good. I couldn't make it today if my life depended on it. My brain lost the recipe I made up. Also, it cost me about $35 USD back in 1982 to make, it would be a bit more today. I'm fine going to Maggiano's (Italian chain) and eating thiers, it's pretty darn good.

Cheesecake, I can make that and I prefer the baked type from scratch. The no-bake just doesn't work for me. I have never made it as a cupcake nor have I seen the toffee and I love toffee, I will need to look into those.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I use to make Lasagna from scratch (except the noodles)
I still do and I make the noodles. Sauce is made with tomatoes that I can. It's doesn't get any better than that. Had to buy a lasagna pan because the regular size pans were too small.

Living room 038.JPG

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Jailer When is dinner? I'll be right over!

somethingweird

Contributor
You didn't state what kind of recipes that you are interested in so I've included a couple different ones.

Doesn't matter, as long as it simple and easy to make.

somethingweird

Contributor
If you like chocolate brownies I have yet to find a recipe better than this

I have made chocolate brownies - but with whiskey :) it was a hit at the office.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I cheated, used a boxed cake mix
Assuming we're talking the standard Betty Crocker style; throw in half a package of pudding mix (in a complementary flavor) an extra egg (4 vs 3) and an extra 1/4 cup of flour. Use milk instead of water. It'll take a longer time to bake (usually 55-60min at 325F for 2x 8" round pans) but the result is fantastic.

somethingweird

Contributor
I cheated, used a boxed cake mix and premade frosting. At least I didn't buy them already made

To me it doesn't matter - it just a base recipe than I will add other stuff to make it homemade hehe. (already made is harder to hide)