Contributing to TrueNAS/Help with local debugging

jolness1

Dabbler
I am wanting to contribute to TrueNAS (specifically the FE as I need a refresher) to add a few things that I think might be useful (devs can decide on that, even if they think they're bad ideas, that's okay with me) and got everything set up but when I try to log in via my locally running webui I get an error originating in the middleware. I could spin up an instance locally of the backend but would like to just use my server already running TrueNAS if possible.

Hoping there are either docker containers available so I can see if it is related to my version (latest stable) of TrueNAS Scale and if not, get it debugged or that someone can point me in the right direction on how they would debug this. My primary dev machine is a mac (I know, I know) but I can install debian on my PC if that's what it takes to get this built and running in a way that I can debug it

Error follows the paragraph. I went through the middleware code and it seems like there should be 2 arguments passed in for authentication, not super familiar with the codebase yet though so I may be missing something.Tough to debug without being able to run at least middleware locally.

Code:
[EFAULT] Too many arguments (expected 0, found 2)
remove_circle_outline
More info...
 Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 184, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1317, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1378, in nf
    args, kwargs = clean_and_validate_args(args, kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1347, in clean_and_validate_args
    raise CallError(f'Too many arguments (expected {len(nf.accepts)}, found {len(args[args_index:])})')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Too many arguments (expected 0, found 2)

Thanks in advance!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey @jolness1

Are you talking about doing updates to the front end interface of TrueNAS by running a local instance through yarn/nodejs?

There's some steps here: https://github.com/truenas/webui

But if I recall I had to mess about on my Debian box a bit to get the dependencies sorted as the default installs of npm was putting incompatible versions somewhere sticky. Can't speak to anything that might be Mac specific unfortunately.

jolness1

Dabbler
Yes, I got it set up and running locally, set my NAS's IP address but am getting that error when trying to authenticate (even if I enter no user/password).

I will take a look at dependencies and see if I can get it sorted out, if not, I will try getting it set up under Debian on my other machine and see if I can get something working. Didn't even think about that being a possible source of my issues.

Appreciate the quick response!