SOLVED Connecting to a different network for Backup

Alpha-Inc.

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

I run a FreeNAS Server and just moved into a new apartment. So far I set up my network (192.168.10.0/24) and have all devices running (Clients, FreeNAS and three Debian VMs). Now I wanted to set a connection to my parents home-network (different subnet; 192.168.11.0/24) since there will be another server my FreeNAS machine will create ZFS-Replaction backups to. The question I now have is, how do I set a safe connection to the other network (over the internet) to transfer the backup?

I did a bit of research and read many articles about a VPN (which I have thought about too). Our routers have the possibility to set up an IPSec VPN by default (without the need of an extra device or VM). I have a few ideas how to go on from now and I thought maybe someone could help me in finding the best and safest way:

1) Connect my FreeNAS Server to my parent's network with an IPSec client to be part of their network and transfer the files to the Backup-Server
2) Use tinc to connect both networks with each other
3) Other ideas I haven't thought of?

Would be great if someone could help me with this. Thank you in advance.

sretalla