FreeNAS / TrueNAS Backup-related Question(s)

d3crypti0n

Cadet
Hello everybody,

I have some Backup-related questions about FreeNAS/TrueNAS.

First, talking about all the files, I have set up an external Backup Server (also installed with TrueNAS) where all the files (two different Datasets) should be backed up to. I read myself into two different backup topics (RSYNC and ZFS Replication). Comparing the two, what is the best way to backup files? I'm talking about the files itself as well as permissions.

Also, the Backup Server is located in another network (at my parents home, in order to counteract fire, flooding or other hardware related issues). For every backup my Backup-Server connects via VPN to my personal network. Does this create an issue (data can not be transferred over VPN, data can corrupt over vpn, etc.?) or is it just the same as if the server would be in my personal network ?

Second, what would be a good way to backup my System drive ? After the initial setup of FreeNAS I exported the config-file and store them my ZFS Pool as well as on an USB-Stick. Is this enough or is a snapshot also a good idea?

And last but not least, how do you backup jails and iocage datasets? Can this also be done via ZFS Replication/RSYNC? I have set a lot of local metadata for Movies, Photos and TV shows on Plex which I want to keep in a case of a broken system

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
First, talking about all the files, I have set up an external Backup Server (also installed with TrueNAS) where all the files (two different Datasets) should be backed up to. I read myself into two different backup topics (RSYNC and ZFS Replication). Comparing the two, what is the best way to backup files? I'm talking about the files itself as well as permissions.
Both options are valid and will result in a good copy on both ends.

RSYNC can be OK, but can do some really counter-intuitive things and cost a lot of resources (network and disk metadata activity) to compare files before deciding what to copy. ZFS will use snapshot diffs to figure out the needed blocks in seconds and will only send changes.... use it if you can.

Also, the Backup Server is located in another network (at my parents home, in order to counteract fire, flooding or other hardware related issues). For every backup my Backup-Server connects via VPN to my personal network. Does this create an issue (data can not be transferred over VPN, data can corrupt over vpn, etc.?) or is it just the same as if the server would be in my personal network ?
It should work as if local if the VPN is set up right.

Second, what would be a good way to backup my System drive ? After the initial setup of FreeNAS I exported the config-file and store them my ZFS Pool as well as on an USB-Stick. Is this enough or is a snapshot also a good idea?
That sounds reasonable... just keeping the config somewhere accessible is enough (could be to a cloud location if you prefer that).

And last but not least, how do you backup jails and iocage datasets? Can this also be done via ZFS Replication/RSYNC? I have set a lot of local metadata for Movies, Photos and TV shows on Plex which I want to keep in a case of a broken system
The jails shouldn't contain your data and app config, only the jail software with your config and data mounted into the jails (and presumably backed up as part of the first question).

You can use replication to backup the jails too, but you should really view them as disposable and not a critical part of the infrastructure if they are properly set up.