SOLVED Can't find Truenas on my new local network

theomolenaar

Dabbler
Networking question. I just changed from internet provider and thus a new modem. With new settings for my local network. Previously my network addresses started with 192.168.178.xxx For easy access the Truenas server was set with a static IP. Now with my new modem my network addresses start with 192.168.1.xxx. I scanned my local network but didn't find the server. Any ideas how to restore connection to the server? I can (and probably will) attach a monitor see what's going on in the terminal window of the truenas server but isn't there any easier method to fix this. And prevent it from happening in the future?

theomolenaar

Dabbler
Okay fixed it myself. For future reference and to help others here's my solution.
  • Attach Truenas and iMac with network cable.
  • Start scanning with wireshark from iMac
  • Find correct ip of Truenas in the logs of wireshark.
  • If found ip is on other subnet. 192.168.1.xxx vs. 192.168.178.xxx. Go to iMac network setttings and change Ethernet to static ip with subnet same as the truenas. For instance if. Truenas is 192.168.178.4. Change iMac ip to 192.168.178.10 or something similar. Apply Settings.
  • Go to browser and navigate to ip-address of Truenas. 192.168.178.4
  • Login to Truenas.
  • Go to Network > Interfaces. Edit IP-address to new network situation.
  • Go to Network > Global Configuration. Change DNS Nameserver server and Default gateway to your new gateway address.
This was very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWjLH1Xsh_I

rpieket

Cadet
I'm running into the same problem. I have no idea how to find the IP address.

As an aside - I seem unable to post a new thread. There is an edit box for the title, but not for the message body. How do I create a new thread?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Your IP address appears in Network->Network Summary. You can also see it in the front Dashboard, by scrolling down to the card showing your NIC:

1658970173872.png

rpieket

Cadet
How can I access "Network->Network Summary" if I can't connect to the NAS?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Connect to the console with a monitor and a keyboard. From the console menu, select option 9 to bring up a shell, and type ifconfig -a | more.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Connect to the console with a monitor and a keyboard. From the console menu, select option 9 to bring up a shell, and type ifconfig -a | more.
...or the console menu will give you the IP address directly; no need to drop to the shell to get it.

rpieket

Cadet
Welp, it started working again. Web interface and all. Fiddling with the cables and a few power cycles did it. Thanks for your help.