Connecting FreeNAS to another NAS drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to find a way for me to connect FreeNAS to another NAS drive (Seagate Central 3GB) so that I can transfer files back and forward between the two without having to use a middle machine.

What I would like to do is be able to run a scheduled script that when a file is a past a certain date/time that it will copy it to the Seagate Central drive.

What would be really nice, but probably not possible, is to be able to use the FreeNAS admin to share storage out from the other NAS drive.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Assuming you have a Windows box somewhere, you could always set up both systems as Windows shares on CIFS/SMB whatever, and then you could use something like this very elegant piece of software to perform the backup under whatever conditions and/or schedule you specify.

This may not be what you're after, but I myself am using this software (instead of rsync or any of the usual things) to actually back up my entire FreeNAS, and I find it to be excellent, and very well-written, and well-adapted to the various options that power users would be interested in.

I only mention it because I think 98% of people with a Seagate Central drive probably are mostly running Windows.

Thanks. Im actually running Mac's at my house. Not to say Windows is not good, I actually used to work for Microsoft. :) I actually wanted something without having a middle computer always running. All the Mac's we have at home are laptops and so are not always at home. Would be nice to be able to do mount from FreeNAS to Seagate and then have a script that could run, I guess I wouldn't even mind if it was just doing an rsync of the who FreeNAS to the Seagate as a backup. Thanks again.

rm-r

Contributor
i have seen a couple of other posts suggesting to mount the windows share from the other nas onto the freenas box and sync that way

Status
Not open for further replies.