Connecting a disconnected pool without reboot

aceniz

Dabbler
Now I know this has been a long standing issue in the past and I've never really found a proper answer on or off this forum.
I'm running Truenas scale now and this was an issue in core aswell. My EMC SAE I dont always have it powered on due to its power consumption, I've occasionally forgot to turn it on aswell before booting. But the 2 pools I have that the disk shelf holds just show export/disconnect if the disk shelf isnt powered on in time.
My question is, is there an easier way to have it 'find' the pools on the connected disk shelf (connected with the HBA card I have in IT mode) without having to reboot the whole server?

My server is a HP DL380p Gen 8
I have a 25 disk EMC VNX SAE connected via a HBA card in IT mode

Arwen

MVP
It is in the GUI;
Storage -> Import Pool -> Select pool to Import -> Import

Now that won't help any Apps and services that might be configured to use those pools. So you would need to restart those services or Apps to make them work on the newly imported pools.

I recommend reading up on ZFS a bit. While tons can be done from the GUI, having a more detailed understanding of ZFS helps in both usage and any trouble shooting that may be required in the future.

For example, running this command from the Unix SHELL would list ZFS pools that are "exported";
zpool import
But, you don't want to import them from the command line as the TrueNAS Middleware & GUI would not know about them.

aceniz

Dabbler
Yeh the pools are still listed in pools gui, so i guess id have to export (but not delete data) then reimport them. But then like you say Id have to restart all the apps affected by that pool. My disk shelf only holds media for Plex, I might check if it drops the 'mount' paths for those shares.
Exporting/disconnecting the pool that way, would it retain any share ACL or would that be removed too?

Arwen

MVP
If the pool(s) are imported, then I don't know what you mean by dis-connected. Unless the pool(s) imported after the Apps or services were started.

I don't know what you mean by "would it retain any share ACL or would that be removed too?". Anything in the pool is preserved.