Connect 2 dell poweredge t320 and a laptop

GuRT.Yuri

Cadet
So I started running truenas on a laptop for small, at home file storage. I just got 2 dell poweredge t320 server cases. Im wondering if anyone knows what way(s) I could connect the two Dell servers to the laptop so that they function as a hdd array while allowing me to access the drives in them. I also want to run RAID6 for the drives for redundency(can never have enough). Any clue how to setup hot swappable capabilities is also appreciated.
I am new to this stuff and can learn relatively quickly so please esplain it as dumbed down and comprehensive as possible. Thank you all in advance. Enjoy!

The laptop is a toshiba satellite c655d with 8gb of ram, 1tb hdd for os and anything else needed, 2tb hdd(replaced cd rom with a sata hdd caddy). Dell t320 uses 8gb ram and 1.2tb sas total drives currently but will be expanded to about 10tb each later down the line.

Arwen

MVP
Uh, a laptop for TrueNAS is way off the reservation. So far off, it's past the DMZ, and into hostile territory.

You can do what you like, but most of us here want reliable, safe storage. Laptop with laptop drives does not fall into that area.

Further, the fact that you used RAID6 terminology means you are less familiar with TrueNAS & ZFS. This means you might get yourself in trouble with a less than ideal hardware design.

Again, I don't mean to stop you, but their is no advise I can give, except that you should have good, solid backups and read some of the excellent documentation we have;

GuRT.Yuri

Cadet
Uh, a laptop for TrueNAS is way off the reservation. So far off, it's past the DMZ, and into hostile territory.

You can do what you like, but most of us here want reliable, safe storage. Laptop with laptop drives does not fall into that area.

Further, the fact that you used RAID6 terminology means you are less familiar with TrueNAS & ZFS. This means you might get yourself in trouble with a less than ideal hardware design.

Again, I don't mean to stop you, but their is no advise I can give, except that you should have good, solid backups and read some of the excellent documentation we have;

Ok so lets change it up because I want to upgrade from my old laptop anyway(its slow as hell sometimes).
Lets say I setup truenas on the Dell Poweredge T320 with 1.2tb from the sas drives. I have two of these t320s setup the same way.
Do you know in what way(s) I could connect the two Dell servers to each other so that they function as a hdd array? After reading the intro to terminology guide it seems RaidZ2 would be my best bet for more redundency as it should withstand 2 drive failures(rare but i wouldnt risk it). Any clue how to setup hot swappable capabilities is also appreciated.
I am new to this stuff and can learn relatively quickly so please esplain it as dumbed down and comprehensive as possible. Thank you in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You don't magically connect multiple servers together to make one big one.
Yes, there's stuff like Gluster (see TrueNAS Scale), but it's not magic. In fact, it's closer to being crap than it is to being magic.